Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake line woes- i gotta question! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy brake line woes- i gotta question! *pics*

i am installing SS brake lines...and seemed to have stripped the PASSENGER rear factory brake line fitting, the part that screws into the SS line....DOH!
Below is a pic, apparently i corssthreaded something along the way eventhough i was VERY careful...as you can see getting it out was a BITCH

the oem factory hardline will need to be replaced for sure....can I pick one up pre bent from GM? Or am I going to have to bend one on my own?

Also why it it surrounded by a coil of hard wire all the way to the rear end?

Thanks
Erik
Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most chain stores sell metric brake lines. So it should be an easy replacement.

The coil is for protection against heat generated by the diff, vibration when attached to the diff and from rocks hitting it while driving.

Buy some cheap fuel line or vacuum hose, split it and it should protect the new line.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

ok, am I going to have to bend it myself, and flare it and all?
does anyone know the size of this line for reference?
Thanks Mitchntx!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:11 AM
CARTEK Racing

I had the same thing happen to be wile installing braided lines, but on the drivers side. I took the factory line out, measured it, went to Pep Boys, bought a strait line that was close to that size, cut it, bent it, flared it, done. Its obvious when you look at it that I did it and not the factory, but it works. LOL
Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...also buy yourself a set of flare nut wrenches....good luck!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And, that line has a "bubble flare" on it, it works better to buy them pre flared and then bend to length, or use the factory bubble on the end and then a conventional flare and fitting in the center (if you splice it).
Old 12-26-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

i have some flare nut wrenches....i used them. thing is, i crossthreaded it like a dumbass, those thing DID NOT want to come out....oh well...

I will see what I can do....I finally decided to just cut the OEM hard lines out that run along the rear end...and I will either get some new lines from GM is they sell them pre bent, or bend my own...

where can I get bubble flared lines?
Old 12-26-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
where can I get bubble flared lines?
The last ones I bought came from NAPA, but other stores should have them too. Just ask for them at the counter (and they'll want to know what size it is, so measure it or take it with you).
Old 12-26-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

update***

I just went ahead and bought some metric brake lines that had the bubble flares....and ran my own lines along the rea end out of harms way....its not the prettiest install....but they are for the most part hidden soooo

we shall see
THANKS!
Old 12-26-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

BTW, i had to use a small brass coupler for one of the lines because one end had a smaller fitting than the other end..so I can to cut in half a line..and couple it to another line with the bigger fitting....all in all a PITA, but itll work lets hope we have NO leaks
i used flared wrenches and snugged em real good soooo
Old 12-26-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have pics of what you did? 'cause I'm having a hard time following all of that lol. I need to replace one of my brake lines and around here, at AutoZone & Adv. Auto, the clerks tell me to go to the dealer... those pathetic, ******* losers. Oh yeah, where'd you end up buying your bubble flared line from?
Old 12-26-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

hey buddy

yeah I can snap some when I get a chance..

Part 1: Here is the deal....ANY decent parts store should have assorted lengths of brake line...with different sized fittings for your application....

Since our cars are as American as fried rice, the fittings are METRIC ...so make sure you are looking for the 3/16" METRIC brake lines.

Part 2: Look specifically for brakes lines for EURO cars, or British (it said EUROPE and BRITAIN over the brake lines at my store, you may have to ask)---those lines have the 'BUBBLE FLARE"--- maybe thats what they use overseas?

Part 3: Depending on which line it is you are replacing, you may have two different size fittings (the small thing that screw into the lines going into your calipers)...
well problem is when you buy aftermarket brake lines, they ONLY come with the same sized fitting at each end which makes for a real problem right??? WRONG- I found out that they make a coupler in which you can join two 3/16" lines in the middle...I will show a pic of that too...that way you can have one line with TWO different fittings at each end....it depends on what line you are replacing (the driver side REAR is the only one that needs differen sized fittings)

Hope this EPIC response helped! Lets just say I learned a lot today!
PM me if you need any more info!
Erik
Old 12-26-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

BTW, I called GM, they said "We do not service brake components- you will have to go and make your own" that is verbatum

Um, ok- wow they didnt take my money for once! hahah

Quick Reply: brake line woes- i gotta question! *pics*