Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Noise from Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from Springs

I am wondering if this is normal. I have the Eibach Pro Kit on my 2001 ws6 and recently it seems as if my suspension is making a strange noise. This noise only occurs when I go over little bumps on roads, nothing crazy where it seems like there is a horrible problem, but a noise as if i had something in my trunk that is bumping around. Its weird. My buddy said its normal because it is different suspsension than stock so its fine, but to me, how is making a strange noise ok? Could it be that it is now January in NJ and it has to to with the temp. decrease in any way? I am clueless. Please help me out with some advice......Pete.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if it's normal, but my stock rear spring on the driver's side has always made just such a noise over certain bumps at slow speeds.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Yes, its my driver side suspsension. My stock never made noise, now that i have this eibach in. Just recently it makes a noise. Its kinda similar to noisy bed but much deeper in sound.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

any other ideas???
Old 01-04-2007, 03:32 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem with my car when I dropped it 1.5 inches a couple of years ago with some springs I was trying to save a few bucks on (H&R). Now that I have QA1's in the front and BMR's in the rear, a discernable difference, the noise went away due to a stiffer ride. This all occured before I installed just about everything that BMR makes for the car, suspension wise.

Because you have changed the geometry of the suspension, it has changed the characteristics of how the car rides. LET ME MAKE IT CLEAR FORUM HOUNDS, I am NOT endorsing any specific brands, nor am I pumping up what I prefer! I am not too familiar with Eibach. I have heard good and bad. Check to see what the spring rates are on them. They may not be what you want on the car. I have read a lot of "Forum Hounds" rave about DMS springs, however that may not alleve the "NOISE". They may have a higher spring rate than those of the Eibach kit and give you a stiffer ride but the noise may remain.

What are the miles on your car? Higher mileage vehicles tend to have worn bushings in the suspension and when the geometry is changed up, you sometimes get a "NOISE".

The fact of the matter is when you alter a vehicle from what it was designed at the factory to do, you will experience AT TIMES a change in the vehicle. These changes MAY OCCUR as noises, whisles, loss/gain performance, etc.

As I was writing, I decided to look up the spring rate of the Eibach Pro kit, the spring rates are not listed. NOT A BIG SUPRISE. All they listed is "Progressive Spring Rates", well drrrr.....racing/contour springs are supposed to have progressive spring rates. There was an article on Eibach Pro kit vs. H&R sport springs sported on a BMW but you will get the picture when you read the article. http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/t...bach_hr_rd.jsp
Like I said, I used to have H&R springs. The car looked fantastic but drove like complete ****, especially over speed bumps and in the turns. There was also that notable chaffing noise in the driver side of the car.

Now before you go getting excited, do some research, ask some one who know's what the hell they are talking about and make an informed decision. Sure the Eibach kit probably made your car sit pretty but ride like ****. I have made some mistakes too and it took some trial and error to make a fair choice. I am sure some of these guys on the forum would disagree with my choice of parts but hey, I have to drive the beast, they don't.

Lastly, before I get some ******* bashing me for trying to point you at a specific brand (WHICH I AM NOT), the point of this reply was to identify what the noise was. Right? Ok, you changed the geometry of the suspesion. The car may have high mileage which would contribute to squeeky bushings. It could be one of the two or a combination. If it really bugs you that much, take it to a REPUTABLE speed shop and have someone check it out. Good luck man!

Last edited by Shortstuff4104; 01-04-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Wrong link
Old 01-04-2007, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

thanks for your help man. greatly appreciated.