Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tech-help, what not to do....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Default tech-help, what not to do....

I just had the strangest phone call. The person wanted to know what the difference was between Revalves and Koni's. I told him the Revalves aren't adjustable. Then he asked what the ride difference was, and I told him that would depend on what setting the Koni's were on, but also what springs, etc. were in use.

Then I asked my standard questions about wanting to know what the car was used for and what he was looking for. What I was told was: "I have QA1's now (don't know the springs), I hate the hard ride, I want something that handles, and that does good at the drag strip". However, it was clear to me the ride was a concern, so I asked why then were we considering lowering springs? The reaction was fun. "thanks for nothing....I'll try somewhere else" followed by a hang-up.

I don't know who this person was, or if they are on the board or not. Whether they are or aren't, here's a tip. I don't pussyfoot around normally, I don't have any time to do so currently. I was cutting to the chase. Maybe I wasn't kind enough or something, I don't know However, I'm not a mind reader, and I can only go by the information given to me. And sometimes that information is gotten by my asking questions. If you want my help, that's fine but you have to be ready to answer some hard qeustions and maybe face the fact you don't necessarily know what you do want vs. what you *think* you want.

I'm sorry if I offened this person, certainly wasn't my intent.

As always I'm willing to help, and I think it's pretty clear from those on this board who I've taken the time to work with that it's pretty good help. I guess this falls under the whole "you can please all the people some of the time, or some off the people all the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time".

I'm quite willing to help, but you have to be willing to work with me. I'll never tell you I have the "PERFECT SETUP for you" and all that used-car salesman crap. I work with the customer to figure out what we think is best. If you catch an attitude and hang up, I can't help you. Please, PLEASE consider that before you call, get pissed and start spouting ills about me all over the web (just in case).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like yet another case of someone not having realistic expectations. They want a car that handles, yet is good at the drag strip. AND they want it to ride well. And be lowered (at least that's what it seems to indicate). When will people realize that you don't get something for nothing in this world? You make a compromise when you do anything. Period.

I'd be interested to see if anyone posts up with an explanation as to why they would be so rude. I'd also hope that they pick some realistic goals and go from there.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...should be a sticky
Old 01-05-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lost in the sauce type of person. And rude.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:53 PM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can attest to what Sam said, he is up front and to the point but in these situations that is good thing.

He wont lead you in the wrong direction nor sell you something that you dont need. Just take the time to talk to him and answer his questions and you will have a great setup.

I got my Konis from Sam even after doing my own research still had some questions for him and he took the time to help me out.

I doubt the person you talked to even if they were on this board will fess up.

Quick Reply: tech-help, what not to do....