Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default few questions

I just bought my first Formula, a 98. As far as I can tell, its completely stock.

I had a few things I wanted to change......

1: the rear end is not centered, so I plan on getting an Adjustable PHB, and then get it aligned professionaly.

2: When I am not moving fast, like around 20MPH in a neighborhood, the wheel s much harder to turn then when I'm cruising. Much, much more so then in my bro's corrola........just curious if that was normal.

3: Is the shock tower brace a good part for a DD car?

4: Same for SFC's?

5: Shocks first?

This isn't going to be going to the strip, so I need a suspension that handles well. What order should I get the above parts? Shocks first?
I also dont have rims/tires picked out either.......
any good thoughts?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say do the shocks and PHB 1st. Get a single adjustable PHB though- double adjustable is a waste, not something you will need 2 adjust frequently! I love my Koni SAs, and the PHB stopped that annoying side-step/hop the car did over bumps.

Then a GOOD alingment. Factory alignment is intended to produce a "push". My $.02: ZERO toe / -1.5 camber / +4.5 caster. Tell the alignment guy what you want, don't let him decide...they seem to always want to do stock: cross camber and all that...not intended for the enthusiast stuff.

Then wheels/tires-or b4 alignment if u can swing it. Pay the $ for good high perf tires. My Nittos 555s r a good compromise...300 treadware, can still drive in rain, but stick well at the track, and not over the top expensive (plus Discount tire direct offers great wheel/tire packages w free mount/balance/ship).

Later Strano Sway Bars.

STB-I have one, but question if its really needed. 4th gens do not have the need 4 it 3rd gens did (when they were truely "strut towers"). SFCs...I had them also...may put some on again later...not sure how necessary they realy r either.

As 4 the steering thing, expect more effort at low speed, but cannot really tell if its "normal" effort from here.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it a good idea to get SFC's on a t-top car?

Quick Reply: few questions