Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Larger wheels, need more brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Larger wheels, need more brakes?

If I swap out now to the 18" C6 Z06 hypersilvers do I need to do the upgrade immediately? I hope the answer is no since I just replaced the rotors with Duralasts and pads to Hawk HPS. I intend to do the C5 upgrade but wanted to get 'the look' first. Am I just asking for trouble? Should I do the brakes and then save the $800 again? Thanks for the input.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you think you have to do the upgrade in the first place? Really the only downside to bigger wheels is you usually have more unsprung weight. Which will take a bit more to get it stopped, but not enough to notice a huge difference. Sure they are going to look tiny under there with 18" wheels now on there, but with the brake upgrades you have done already, you will be just fine.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was worrying about the weight behind the purchase more than the look. I don't figure a half inch more around the rotor will make it a visual eyesore. I was more concerned about the safe stopping distance.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No need to change the brakes, with a 18" wheel upgrade. The only reason whya I eventiually changed mine is that the stock 12" brakes look a tad small behind the big wheels. Never was worried about performance with my stock brakes.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

On trucks, when you upgrade the stock 15" wheels to 22" you definitely should upgrade the brakes due to the increased rotational mass and overall diameter. But in your case, you are basically only going up 1" in size over stock (compared to the optional 17X9) and the weight and overall diameter will be close to stock so you don't need to upgrade the brakes.

Quick Reply: Larger wheels, need more brakes?