Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

clattering from pass rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default clattering from pass rear brakes *solved*

Hey all,

I'm having a problem with my passenger rear wheel in that when I get to about 25 mph I start to get a sort of clattering/grinding noise. As soon as I hit the brakes, the noise goes away.

I thought it was because of my warped orignial rotors (75k miles) so I replaced them and my original pads with rotorworks rotors and hawk hps pads. When I removed the passenger rear caliper frame I inspected the slides and noticed that they were bone dry and crusty. I thoroughly cleaned all the brake parts of all 4 corners including cleaning and re-lubricating the slides with synthetic slide grease. I noticed that I did not have any problem getting the rear calipers back on over the new rotor and new pads which surprised me because the fronts were a very tight fit.

Unfortunately, the noise is still there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Russell

Well, after taking it to the shop they confirmed that the axle bearing went bad tearing up the axle. Should be replaced in a few days.

Last edited by ws6-speed; 04-25-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have any ideas?

I inspected the brakes a bit more and discovered that the I can move the rear wheels in and out about 1/8" by pushing/pulling, and I can move them up and down about the same. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Russell
Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
Anyone have any ideas?

I inspected the brakes a bit more and discovered that the I can move the rear wheels in and out about 1/8" by pushing/pulling, and I can move them up and down about the same. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Russell
yah the slack in and out is normal. I have the same problem and finally found out that it was a bent axle. I had tried everything else just like you did so i decided to swap the axles. I put the drivers side over to the passenger side and vis versa. Then when i went for a drive the noise i had previously heard on the passenger side started coming from the driver's side! So i pulled that axle out and could see it was pitted real bad from the wheel bearing dieing. I was told that was b/c of a bent axle. I have been told that its not hard to bend one of these axles......all it needs is a little bump with a curb. So if i were you i would check that out. If you need me to clarify anything just let me know. Hope i helped you out.

Brent
Old 01-15-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Brent,

Thanks for the info! How difficult was it to swap the axles? I might give that a try to see if the noise switches sides. I wonder if this is something a shop could diagnose without removing the axles?

Thanks,

Russell

Quick Reply: clattering from pass rear brakes