Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is replacing only the rear shocks ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is replacing only the rear shocks ok?

I am looking into setting up my suspension on my car soon and will need to invest in some shocks/struts. I can't do the fronts my self since I have no access to a spring compressor, and that has me worried even if I could get a hold of one. The car has almost 150k miles on it now, with the stock shocks and struts still on it. I can do the rears on my own, and I am only looking at a Monroe stock-replacement. The local shop quoted me $461.00 for the fronts which seems really high for a $100 set of struts (if that). So my question is would I be able to get away with a daily driver, and the occasional strip visit, by just replacing the rear shocks until the end of the year when I can afford the fronts? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think when I did it I put my rears on first and then put the fronts on a month or so later. I didn't notice any wildly different handling characteristics or what might be deemed unsafe. You'll just have to try it and be aware of how your car handles afterward. BTW, you will likely get chided for your shock choice.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not looking to do any major handling stuff. The car is a daily driver and weekend warrior at the drag strip. So therefor a stock-style shock will be fine for now. Once I get my power up (in a few years) I'll look into the HAL/QA1 items.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Out1aw
The local shop quoted me $461.00 for the fronts which seems really high for a $100 set of struts (if that).
That seems a little high to me and I live in SoCal where we get raped on repair costs

Call a few other shops. You may have to drive a little further but it will be worth it
Old 01-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

actually for monroe sensatrac thats about right to me, i inquired at sears while i was buying some tools since they had a few specials in the auto department and they wanted $478 for the fronts replaced with a alignment. which is nuts. i bought $30 monroes for the rear, and have a used fronts with springs i got for $50, but i might buy new springs all around, and 2 new fronts 2. not sure yet. trying to get her driving like stock, before i make major changes to it
Old 01-18-2007, 07:30 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Out1aw
I am looking into setting up my suspension on my car soon and will need to invest in some shocks/struts. I can't do the fronts my self since I have no access to a spring compressor, and that has me worried even if I could get a hold of one. The car has almost 150k miles on it now, with the stock shocks and struts still on it. I can do the rears on my own, and I am only looking at a Monroe stock-replacement. The local shop quoted me $461.00 for the fronts which seems really high for a $100 set of struts (if that). So my question is would I be able to get away with a daily driver, and the occasional strip visit, by just replacing the rear shocks until the end of the year when I can afford the fronts? Thanks.

Hi
I did my rears first I have been driving it for over a year and it handles great. No problems. I have new front shocks and spring to go in shortly.

There is alot of labor to do the front shocks. I was quoted 4 1/2 hrs by one shop and that came out of a standard estimating book. $461 including the price of the shocks seems in the ball park to me.

JA
Old 01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

I got adjustable KYB AGX for all 4 corners for 210 and a local shop quoted me 120 for the install and 40 for an alignment. I say go to a different shop.

Quick Reply: Is replacing only the rear shocks ok?