Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Sticky Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Sticky Recommendation

Trackbird I love your post "Suspension mods and real world" but
I've been reading all of the suspension stickies but they all show before after pics etc but none of them show actualy spring rates shock damper rates etc. Im not a shock/spring expert but what I understand is, you need a shock that can handle the rate of the spring, well it's sometimes hard to find the rate the spring works at, and does anyone have the damper rate of the shocks? That way maybe people can say what kits can possibly work well together and they can make their own decision, also what is the difference between linear and non-linear if we can explain all this in one sticky people can look at everything and compare for themselves and decide. Or at least help to decide, also see what their ride could possible be as far as stiffness and non stiffness because of the spring.

Can anyone give me data so I can add to this ? Or maybe take this and make their own? Someone like Sam Strano, Trackbird? Feedback? If im off and something like this wont make sense anyways then... let me know

Example of a chart:

Koni SA's Rates are
setting 1: xxx
setting 2: xxx
setting 3: xxx
xxx

KYB AGX Rates are
settting1: xxx
setting2: xxx
setting3: xxx
xxx

Bilstein HD: xxx
Tokiko: xxx
Monroe: xxx
KYB: xxx

Spring Rates:

Pro kit: xxx
Sportline: xxx
Hotchk: xxx
Strano: xxx
Gold: xxx
Gm: xxx

CM: xxx
Dropzone: xxx
Vagtland: xxx
Springtech: xxx
Ksport: xxx

Maybe even seperate in categories, spring rate higher than xxx = stiff ride
Old 01-22-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Been done...Check here
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
Old 01-22-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that does show a lot - but doesn't explain what it means, and it only shows like 3 shocks - can anyone explain what they mean? and which ones can basically handle what?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember that the valving on a shock is velocity sensitive. Meaning the setting will change based on the speed of the piston (usually measured in inches per second or IPS). So, we can't really say "click 1 = XXX", you have to use a graph/chart to do the job in most cases. That starts to get very difficult to read and sort out for your use. If you've driven a shock and tried the adjustments, then you get the graph, and you are looking at another shock and get the graph from it, you might be able to start to formulate an opinion about how they will work for your use. However, barring experience (in my opinion at least), there isn't much you can learn from the graph, it's not calibrated in inch lbs that relate to a spring rate, etc. I can give you lots of data, but most of it isn't useable without a frame of reference.

Quick Reply: New Sticky Recommendation