Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI TA questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI TA questions

I am wanting to purchase the trans tunnel mounted torque arm below for my '01 SS and have a couple of questions about it. Right now I've got an Edelbrock non-adjustable factroy mount TA and it is stock length. The UMI I am wanting is a bit shorter than stock (not sure how much), but I was reading some article about handling (Super Chevy performance handling) and it mentioned that short torque arms may induce "ill-handling traits". I was wondering if this TA was short enough to cause any issues. The car will see the strip about 3-5 times a year at most, will be a weekend only car and would like to take some high speed turns. I just don't want to install the arm if it will only help for straight line only, it would be fun to go around some turns. Please let me know if this is something I should avoid installing or not. I really like UMI's products and customer service, so at this point they will be the only company I'm using for susension products. Ryan @ UMI , please feel free to chime in. I tried calling this morning but they couldn't find you and the lady transfered me to someone else and I had no chance to leave a message.

Joe

http://www.umiperformance.com/2203.aspx
Old 01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Joe,

Sorry I missed your call. I usually get running around all day and don't get much time on the phone anymore. It would have been Jerry you talked too.

We have found that the short torque arms can induce brake hop where as the longer (stock length) torque arms will help to reduce brake hop, both will help to eliminate wheel hop. Since the vehicle see's so minimal drag racing and you are more concerned on handling I would highly recommend model # 2205 which is a long stock length adjustable arm seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2205.aspx This item will be very streetable and will not add any addtional road noise. On drag racing this torque does tremendous on low-md horsepower cars. I think this would be a better set-up for you rather then the shorter arm.

If I can help anymore please ask and I am glad too.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much shorter is the tunnel mount vs. standard mt?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myfast70
How much shorter is the tunnel mount vs. standard mt?
I am not sure on the exact length but the tunnel mounted torque arm bolts into the tunnel area where the factory tunnel brace is. Please take a look at the picture below for a idea where it bolts, its approx. 1' shorter.

http://www.umiperformance.com/images/2004b.jpg

Thanks,
Ryan