Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question for Foxxtron

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for Foxxtron

Originally posted by Foxxtron: You are right about a T-top vehicle not being as stiff, however it will not be stiffened greatly by adding a tiny amount (SFC's are a really small improvemment with the lower chassis, but not the upper part, mostly improves chassis stiffness with extreme acceleration and braking, but no real proof with lateral loads found in hard cornering, pretty much an elaboration of what you stated). I discovered that the hard way then discovered that a solid retrofit panel directly to the T-top area solved the problem, and the way I designed mine can still be removable without having to modify the T-top area.
Foxxtron,
Could you elaborate on the solid retrofit panels that you referenced above. Any pictures of this. I am interested in doing something similar to my '00 t-top car.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds interesting. I have no plans on doing it, but would still like to know more about it.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

register to frrax dot com.

a vendor makes carbon fiber ones to give you an idea of what it is. i've also seen it done as aluminum
Old 01-22-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

here:

he redisigned the edges here:

Old 01-23-2007, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vtirocz
Foxxtron,
Could you elaborate on the solid retrofit panels that you referenced above. Any pictures of this. I am interested in doing something similar to my '00 t-top car.

Thanks,
Jim
Wow,

sorry guys, I don't know if you noticed, however I've spent lots of time relocating down under, and now have commenced my Masters in MatSci.

but anyways, if you also perform a search on frrax, you notice that mitchntx has some very nice pics of his T-top panel that I believe he manufactured from aluminium (don't remember what alloy). His actually appeared very nice as well.

AFA the Blainfab one that is pictured above, that's a very nice option as well.

Now, I can only speak on behalf of what I did to fabricate my roof panel. Mine was just some flat sheet of 6061-0 aluminium, and like mitch, I used an english wheel to shape the curve to approximately match the contour of the body. I should also note that I used a panel approximately 2 to 3 inches (can't recall at the moment) laterally in excess in order to create "tubular forms" on each end which I then carefully TIG welded.

Since my track vehicle was originally a t-top, I decided just to simply find a "sheet metal" method of "closing" the top, however mine is similar to some of the examples here being not readily removable and not weatherproofed.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't really see how this helps upper body stiffness without it being very securly (welded or bolted in several places) attached the the t-top frames, and in that case, probably marring the surfaces up and making it not really a DD option.

Maybe I don't understand and this is only a track mod and involves permanently ruining certain finishes and drilling holes.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

And eventually that's what had to be done (bolted in several places). My post was mentioned quite a long time as I was doing it, then I had just decided to fasten it with bolts and spacers. Still was removable, however as mentioned, the definite method of increasing the stiffness (mostly in bending) with regards to the roof is pretty much make it a permanent hardtop.

With a few modification, one just might be able to make it semi-removable, but since it was on my track car, I just decided to make it more to function for chassis stiffness and less for removeability and weatherproofing.

In short, it really ended up being one of those tradeoffs that some really don't want, but in essence cannot be avoided for the purpose needed.