Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Airbag Need install insturctions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Airbag Need install insturctions

I got an airbag for my rear passenger spring from someone used. They bought 2 at once so i didn't get any instructions. I believe i have all the parts/pieces i need but i have no clue how to install it.

I realize that you gotta lower the rear and get the spring out (any tips there, i think i should be able to figure that out). then Do i just put the airbag in there and what do i do with it? does the nozzle go pointing down or pointing up and the donut that come wiht it, does that go on the bottom or the top? Whats the best way to route the airline? Ok thanks a lot, i appreciate it. Also what type of pressure should i be using in it?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, first off just remove the lower shock nut and the axle will drop far enough the spring will just pop right out.

The bag installs inside the spring with the air fitting pointing down.

The rubber doughnut goes on the bottom and the air line to the bag goes through the center of the rubber doughnut and the lower spring perch.

From there just route your tubing away from hot exhaust part that may melt it by securing with tip ties.

I run 2 bags so I mounted the air inlet valve in the gas filler location to be consealed and easy to add/remove air. If you open the gas door (on my car) you would see the gas cap and the air fitting mounted in the plastic shroud surrounding the gas tank filler neck at about 9:00 position.

I just use a $10 compact bicycle air pump that at only 8" long is easy to stash in the car ready to use any time I need it. I usually only run enough air to make the bag just firm to the touch and don't measure air pressure as it is very low in my application However yours may vary so just add a little air at a time as it quickly will increase your spring rate and see how she goes!!

Greg
Old 01-24-2007, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome thanks a bunch. That sounds like a great idea mounting the pump where you did. What did you use to secure the fitting in the gas tank? Do you have any pics by chance?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
What did you use to secure the fitting in the gas tank?
No pics but the brass air fitting is threaded and comes with a securing nut. (much like an air stem valve found on a wheel of a dirt bike) You just drill a hole, pass the air fitting through the hole from the back side and secure with the included nut on the front side. It's really that easy.

Greg
Old 01-24-2007, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome I got the idea now, thanks a ton. Should be sweet.

-Jon

Quick Reply: Rear Airbag Need install insturctions