Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

mounting line lock switch?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I agree with you.

Another scenerio would be a buddy in the car, wondering what the button does while your pumping gas.

How about when your cleaning the car and you hit the switch by accident. You never know you've activated the switch!

...worst part is these things being wired by some companies are actually doing so via ground lift . Never ever (did I say never) use a ground as your switching source!! If your feeding wire ever shorts on the body...no sense in having a fuse, it would never blow, you'd only switch the circuit on!!
Sorry I don't see any of these possibly damaging anything. When I get the car first thing I do is hold the brakes down, put clutch in, start car, remove e-brake(always have my foot on the brakes when I do this just in case the car moves), line lock would make me stall the car out. Plus any buddy that ever rides in my car(only my best friends) all know what the switch does and where it is cause they have all been there for almost every part installed on the car.

Same thing for cleaning the car, but I don't open the lid to the ash tray when i'm cleaning? But in this situation also, I have my foot on the brakes when I put down the e-brake. So the brakes are locked while i'm not moving.

The way the SLP line lock is wired, I don't think it lifts the ground? I can't remember.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6.Jay
Sorry I don't see any of these possibly damaging anything. When I get the car first thing I do is hold the brakes down, put clutch in, start car, remove e-brake(always have my foot on the brakes when I do this just in case the car moves), line lock would make me stall the car out. Plus any buddy that ever rides in my car(only my best friends) all know what the switch does and where it is cause they have all been there for almost every part installed on the car.

Same thing for cleaning the car, but I don't open the lid to the ash tray when i'm cleaning? But in this situation also, I have my foot on the brakes when I put down the e-brake. So the brakes are locked while i'm not moving.

The way the SLP line lock is wired, I don't think it lifts the ground? I can't remember.
Ok, since this addressed to my statement, I'll respond. I'm not sure why I have to spell these things out...some just may not think of them...I’m not sure.

Damaging...certainly you can! Solenoids should never be used for >60sec, they can burn out. Switch it on accidently without knowing...that means it's left on...it could be burnt out the next time you use it.

Your scenario may be considered, but may not be typical. My point is that IF the solenoid is switched on and you aren't stepping on the brake...if you're driving and you tap the brakes you will be locking the brakes, probably panic and depress the brake again or other...just waiting to either lose control or stop suddenly of which you increase chances of being rear-ended.

Another scenario, you’re driving down the street, it's switched on (either by short due to ground OR someone playing with the switch, putting a piece of gum wrapper in the ashtray etc...These things happen and it’s not an unlikely scenario.

...so it's now activated, you have no idea that the solenoid is armed (since you have no feedback from an LED or lamp), you’re going 60mph down the highway with your buddies at 1am laughing and being goofy...few cars on the road, car in front of you cuts you off, you swerve, step on the brake, NOW your front brakes lock, ABS does not work properly WHILE the solenoid is in use, you panic, step harder, lose control, guy behind you hits you, or you crash in the guardrail...

...all this can be avoided if you only had simple safety circuitry on your LL solenoid. THIS is why all our kits are setup with a master switch, control switch AND feedback LED so that you know when your LL circuitry is live, or arming it...this is why your cruise control has many safety features built in as well.

You can argue all day long and say your setup is not a problem for you...in the end, the race-track will not approve of your setup, and neither would any entry level electrician or engineer approve of the design.

The other company’s attempt to copy our designs creating a bare-bones setup appears to have some major shortcomings. From what I’ve seen, I’m not impressed. Better check your circuitry, from what I’ve seen; you’ve got a ground lift setup among the shortcomings listed above.

For the others reading, our kits are always in stock, well designed, and support is only a phone call or e-mail away.

I’m not trying to bash anyone or any person’s attempt; Warp_6 has the right idea a VERY similar to ours with a few extra bells/whistles (blinking lights). I’m simply stating the benefits of our kits over others.

No need purchase additional components such as LED’s, sealant, Teflon tape (lines are pre-assembled) more switches etc. Our kits come with well defined directions, pictures and a schematic. We are the original designers of this type of kit for the F-body and have been building them since ~1996.

...whew that was long
Old 02-04-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this switch setup work for a linelock?

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...product_id=999

Quick Reply: mounting line lock switch?????