Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New brakes.... 17K miles on old ones and they're mint?? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New brakes.... 17K miles on old ones and they're mint?? WTF?

Ok, I did a brake upgrade today. I installed the WS6Store Rotorworks all 4 drilled and slotted. It's been 17k miles and 2 years since I did brakes. THey recently started squeaking and I figured they were due. I ordered the SAME non ceramic Hawk pads as I installed 2 years ago.

I went to install my new pads and.... THey didn't wear AT ALL!! WTF is going on? 17k miles on 1/16th of pad wear?? I have also done about a dozen or so 150 pulls w/ hard braking in the past 2 years. The new pads also looked different. The shape and the material. THey fit fine, tho. I checked their 'footing' on the rotor and it's fine.. They sit a little high, but seem to have a better footprint on the rotor.

Oh, yeah. The brakes are like new now. They work 100% better! VERY little effort to get the car to slow down!.. ... I LOVE IT! My brakes were really soft before. My pads and rotors were glazed pretty bad.

here's some pics...

Old pads on the bottom...

Old 01-27-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Front pads on ls1's wear slow compared to the rears. All my front rotors, on the other hand, warped in 10 to 30k. I just replaced my front rotors and reused old my front PFC pads that I like alot. They had 12k on them and no wear. However my steel caliper bolts/sliders start to bind up after like 12k. When they do the brakes don't feel as good. This seems to happen no matter how much I clean and grease them??
Old 01-27-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

^^... My old pads sucked since day one. It just recently got worse. Right after I did my brakes 2 years ago I was surprised that a set of $80 pads would not bind that well. You can grease them slides all you want, but you really should get in there w/ a pic and scrape all that crap off the walls of the slide. THat's what makes the differance, keeps your calipers free floating.

THe rear is only a fraction of your braking. My rear pads were mint too. Fronts were slightly tapered, prolly form hard high speed baking.,