Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shocks and springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shocks and springs?

I try'd the search and it never works for me. But my question is.

What shocks and springs would suit light canyon carving?

Im not trying to get all hardcore about it yet. I just want to get some tight

springs and shocks. Thanks in advance. also ideas and opnions are welcome.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the_hunted
I try'd the search and it never works for me. But my question is.

What shocks and springs would suit light canyon carving?

Im not trying to get all hardcore about it yet. I just want to get some tight

springs and shocks. Thanks in advance. also ideas and opnions are welcome.
You can do light canyon carving with the factory springs and shocks...

Depending on how hard you drive or go thru the twisties, it could end up being scary, is this what happened to you?

For the average driver, you can learn a LOT from driving your car in the twisties with the factory suspension.

Once you figure out what your limits are, then I would suggest better shocks, that being said, there are a lot of shocks that are better than the factory deCarbon's, but only 2 shocks that I can think of are heads/tails above everything else out there. You can get better handling with the lesser priced shocks, but it won't be WAY better, but definitely better than the deCarbons.

Monroe shocks for our f-bodies are only marginally better than the deCarbons, but they're VERY cheap. They will NOT last long with lowered springs.

KYB AGX shocks are better than the Monroes, again, a bit more expensive than the Monroes, and they will NOT last long with lowered springs...Same goes for Tokico shocks...

Bilstein HD's work MUCH better than the aforementioned shocks, better quality, more expensive, and, They will NOT last long with lowered springs.
Bilstein has changed the damping rates on the HD's, and I have heard that they are not as stiff as the older model, hence less performance oriented, AND, they will NOT last long with lowered springs.

Now, if you're looking at a substantial increase in handling performance without blowing a significant amount of $$$, then keep the factory springs(which are QUITE good by the way) and go for the Bilstein HD's, you'll feel like you're driving a different car.

Also going for at LEAST a front swaybar change will DRAMATICALLY decrease body roll, doing both with the HD's will give you a REAL fun ride!!!

Call Sam Strano, expect to spend some time with him, tell him what you like and don't like, what you want your car to become once you're done, take notes, and be open-minded. Sam has won the SCCA Autocross National Championships what, 3 times, most recent was LAST YEAR, driving his 4th-gen Camaro, so Sam is THE HANDLING GURU when it comes to our/your car.

THE most important part you can get when wanting to morph your car to a great handler is....

SHOCKS!!!

Do NOT go cheap on the shocks...

My .02

Have fun dude!!!