Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein shocks - part number question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein shocks - part number question

Two years ago I bought a set of four Bilstein shocks for my '99 Z28. Yesterday I replaced the front right because it was leaking and made clunking noise when hitting a road imperfection. The number I found on the old shock: 3504B46 1913HD - this is the number that the old invoice/receipt shows so I am sure that's what I had/have on front left and right. Now, the new shock has this number stamped on it: 3602BE5 2406M1. This is the number that Summit and other vendors list for a 1999 Camaro.
So now the one million dollar question: what in the bloody hell is that other number ? Did I get two Caddilac shocks and didn't notice or what ???

Now I am driving with a new shock on the right and an old shock on the left (driver side). It 'feels' stiffer on the passenger side, maybe because the shock is not worn (it could very well be my imagination)... just doesn't feel right having two different shocks and one old and one new....

I'm going to talk to Bilstein as well as the vendor I bought from tomorrow - just thought I might get some responses/ideas here tonight...
Old 02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Camaro shock, new valving..... doesn't match your 1914, need to change the other one too. And even if that weren't the case, you never replace just one shock because wear is a factor. Always at least pairs, but then again, you don't leave the front or back of the car @ home when you drive, so really all 4 should be done most times. Here, no... but you needed a pair.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam, thanks for the input - that confirmed what I thought, gotta replace both.

I did not mention that the leaking shock was covered under warranty and the new shock was provided by Bilstein.

I called them today and told them about the number mismatch, here's what I learned:
The old part number 1913 is the HD shock and the 2046M1 is the "SLP" version - Bilstein still lists both numbers on their website but only has the "new" 2046M1 available.

Bottom line: they sending me another new shock (at no charge) to replace the driver side as well - that way I have a matching pair on the front axle.

It is no fun to replace both front shocks because of a leaking shock but I have to say that Bilstein takes good care of their customers. I am getting two new front shocks and only pay for shipping the old shocks and proof of purchase to them... big !!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Bilstein shocks - part number question