Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007 | 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default help with suspension

i did a search and im just confused. . im trying to build my suspension for yes drag and canyons .. but everyone has different opinions . . . so if sumone can help . . i know im going to get koni's for shocks but those are later and i have 555r's but i need sumthin to tighten up the car threw the canyons and help me hook on the street. .
Old 02-05-2007 | 08:58 PM
Launching!

Did you happen to read this sticky? https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/643950-suspension-mods-real-world.html ... Good info. in there.
Old 02-05-2007 | 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya i read it but i was looking more for subframe connectors and lca coil overs relocation brackets. . ive read severial threads and everyone seems to say there a waste of money .. im going to start building the motor up so i want my suspension ready for it. . plus i want it to sumwhat handle in the canyons. . i know the sway bars are going to help and the koni are going to be the biggest part but everything else .
Old 02-05-2007 | 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

U R right, Koni SAs and Sway bars are a good start. I highly recomend Stano's sway bars. You have good tires I assume.

I would say an adjustable PHB is a big help. It gets rid of the annoying side hop our cars doi over bumps. IMHO get a single adjustable unit (DA is a waste of $). Do a double rod end or rod/poly combo. UMI builds great stuff.

You can keep the stock springs for good weight transfer, they are good for corners also. And you can do the hose mod/lower perch w the Konis for a little lowering.

Only other thing to add would be a good performance alingment. Stock one causes a push (understeer) to save people who cannot handle oversteer. I run zero toe, -1.5 camber, and + 4.5 caster. This will improove cornering and not wear your tires unusually. It will also not negatively impact dragstrip prowless.
Old 02-05-2007 | 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

i completely forgot about the alingment thanks for reminding me. .

maybe stano could help me out but i have the same size front sway bar as he does is there a difference between a hollow bar and a solid

and if anyone could help me out with hooking on the street!

tubular or boxed lca in the canyons
Old 02-06-2007 | 03:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by flash12t
ya i read it but i was looking more for subframe connectors and lca coil overs relocation brackets. . ive read severial threads and everyone seems to say there a waste of money .. im going to start building the motor up so i want my suspension ready for it. . plus i want it to sumwhat handle in the canyons. . i know the sway bars are going to help and the koni are going to be the biggest part but everything else .
Until the car is rolling and building heat in the tires, you don't know what the car is doing. So how do you know what parts to replace in order to help?

Handling is not a "kit" you buy off the internet.

Handling is learning the dynamics, gathering data and figuring out what changes that data.

Don't confuse "different" with "better". Many do. Just because you "feel" a change doesn't mean it's going in the right direction.

My "handling" is now "tuned" by using various widths of wheel spacers and 1/2 pound increments in air pressures.