Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tubular K-member? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Tubular K-member? Worth it?

This summer I am going to be doing my LS1 swap into my 3.4 Firebird. I would like to, since the engine will be out, put in a tubular K-member, BUT I have heard that if it is going to be a street car, I might want to stray away. A few people have told me that people have broken them. That's definately not something I want to happen. Either that or that they do not provide enough cover, or protection for the bottom side of the engine.

I would like to have the people that DO have these post up with their opinions. The car WILL be a DD, atleast until I'm out of college and can afford another DD and a garage to store the car.

My plan was to do a full tubular front end, reason being I am going to be dropping the front suspension and it will DEFINATELY shed quite a few pounds off the front end. Should I? I'm starting to think twice...
Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UMI builds strong, reinforced K members. They are supposed to be strong enough for DD and Auto-X. That said I am still waiting a while to let others be the quiny pigs (SP?), to make sure no failures.

Not to be a nay sayer, but is shedding a few pounds really worth the serious coin you will need to shell out for the tubular pieces? This $ would likely be better spent elsewhere...I am assuming you DO NOT have a limitless budget.

Also, if you opt for rod ends or poly in your front control arms you may be unhappy w the increased noise and vibration on a DD. These pieces are cool, but may not be the best choice for a DD.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you very much for the information subtlez28. I have seen you post in many suspension threads and trust your judgement.

You are right, I think now I have decided against the tubular front suspension just for the mere sake of price. I'd love to get it, BUT you are right I do NOT have a limitless budget, quite tight in fact. lol

Thank you again. Anyone else?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been covered before, use the search.

Quick Reply: Tubular K-member? Worth it?