Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Duralast/Hawk HPS squeak

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Duralast/Hawk HPS squeak

Is this normal? I believe it sounds as though the rotors are also rubbing the pads at slow speed enough to hear the scraping. While stopping and also at low speed there is a definative squeak. I was unsure if this is normal or if the pads were not seated correctly. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you follow Hawks break in proceedures? they usually put a red piece of paper in the box with instructions on how to break them in.. 2 stops at 30mph.. 2 stops at 50mph.. or something to that effect..
Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

I did not see that paper. They came in so late tonight UPS (8 pm) that I was already working by flashlight. It is cold as anything so I was trying to hustle through getting them on the passenger side and then tearing down the driver. I also did rotors and flushed the system today. Unfortunately my friend who was helping was much too efficient and threw everything away already. However, I will maybe just give it a day and see by the end of tomorrow if I have to pull it all apart again?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
I did not see that paper. They came in so late tonight UPS (8 pm) that I was already working by flashlight. It is cold as anything so I was trying to hustle through getting them on the passenger side and then tearing down the driver. I also did rotors and flushed the system today. Unfortunately my friend who was helping was much too efficient and threw everything away already. However, I will maybe just give it a day and see by the end of tomorrow if I have to pull it all apart again?
My Hawk pads have squeaked like hell ever since I installed them about 8 months ago and I need to get around to changing them.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to hawks website.. they should have the break in proceedure there.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

1. After installing new brake pads, make 6-10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.

2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40-45 mph.

3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!

4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.

5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:34 AM
TECH Resident

I found the source after I got back home from driving a day. The retaining clip somehow was bent downwards over the vents of the rotor and was just slightly rubbing the edge. It could have been worse had it been rubbing the rotor directly. Problem solved (other than the apparent Hawk squeak)! Thanks all!