Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

The smoothest riding suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The smoothest riding suspension setup?

I'm a newbie when it comes to suspension but i am looking for the smoothest riding suspension setup while increasing handling... im talking the whole deal... lca's, uca's, tie rods, pan hard bar, shocks, springs, i also am going to get a tubular k member..... does anyone have any suggestions or could some of the tech guys tell me what a great setup would be thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Want smooth, stay stock, but add high quality shocks (KONIS). Aftermarket parts will have harder bushings or rod ends. These transmit vibration and impact---->no more smooth ride. Stock springs ride well, launch well and handle well. Higher rates will help handling, but at the expence of "smooth ride". You can lower your car 3/4" using the Koni SAs and stock springs, if you do want it lower, but again, less travel=more ride impact.

If your bushings and tie rods are worn, replace them, but understand ride smoothness is why GM compromised on performance in bushings.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by subtlez28
You can lower your car 3/4" using the Koni SAs and stock springs.
How is this possible? What are Koni SAs and how would they lower my car 3/4"?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Koni Single Adjustable shocks - IIRC, it's the rebound of the shock you're able to adjust, but not the compression (You'd need DA's for both, but that's overkill for most). They also have two positions for the lower spring perches on the shock, and the lower setting gives you about ~3/4" drop.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by sabres97
I'm a newbie when it comes to suspension but i am looking for the smoothest riding suspension setup while increasing handling... im talking the whole deal... lca's, uca's, tie rods, pan hard bar, shocks, springs, i also am going to get a tubular k member..... does anyone have any suggestions or could some of the tech guys tell me what a great setup would be thanks
Why do you think you need all that? I can't tell with the little info here what you should do (and then it's a recommendation, not an absolute). But a lot of those parts really won't help real-world handling. Some can hurt the ride firmness, and others could just be a waste of money.

You want it all. Ride, handling, etc. Nothing is free, but given the stock state of the cars, it's not hard to greatly improve things without hurting ride (actually helping it). But I have no idea what kind of driving you actually do, and what, in order of importance, you'd prefer to improve. I think you are doing yourself a dis-service by assuming you want or need all those parts.

Start with some good dampers, assess, move on to the parts needed to change the next big thing. That's how you test, and testing is how you don't overbuy or end up with something you hate.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: The smoothest riding suspension setup?