Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

E-brake wont go up and rear brakes are locked up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-brake wont go up and rear brakes are locked up!

My car has been sitting for over 2 weeks, when I decided to take her out for a spin she wont start. That took me a couple hours to figure out I had a bad ground wire running off the block. Now that she runs I put the e brake down and she feels funny, so I try to put it up and it wont go up, the E brake Is stuck down…then I notice the car is not rolling back down the drive way… so I put it in 1st and move a lil and she barley moves and then stops, I go back and she stalls out…

So basically my rear brakes are locked up and yeah im sure its ebake related, any ideas how to fix this?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you done anything to the car like changing the brakes, rear end work, or anything like that?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Teching In

ive changed the front brakes, but nothing with the rear...its all stock
Old 02-22-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

disconnect the ebrake from the caliper assembly for a temp fix...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeh sounds like you need to pull the rear wheels and check out the calipers.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Teching In

when i took a screw driver and forced the gear with the teeth foward it clicked and sat there on its own ( spring fully stretched )... then i noticed the cable it self was bunched up with a lot of slack but would not go back into the rubber hose that was leading under the car.

I tryed taking off one of the back tires to see if i could unhook the cables so i could atleast get the car to my shop and have a chance of getting it on a rack and making it easyer to work on. I was not able too cuz there was no play to work on the cable..

Then i called dave ( dyno tune ) and he told me to get under the car and try to disconect the single wire leading to the two wires that go to each rear disk. I tryed my best but this was not a easy task with only using a pep boys jack that lifts the car off the ground like a foot. I located the wires where they meet up but had no clue how to disconect them.. so i kinda said...F this im not spending my day off like this, i figured id try here 2nd.

I would like to atleast get this car drivable so i can take it to my shop or daves
Old 02-22-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is prob a few different ways you might try taking the console off and see what you can do from there maybe you can loosen the line to get enough slack to unhook where it splits into 2.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Teching In

I have never seen an ebrake handle for this car anywhere i can find a picture of one to see if mine is broke or missing somthing...
Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Ok well my brake issues are over. I had the day off and took the time to figure it out.

Turns out I had 2 issues. I pulled off the wheel and removed the caliper and disk. I found out that the horse shoe ( e-brake system ) was just hanging. This explains why the car would sometimes roll forward, other times it wouldn’t, sometimes backwards, and sometimes wouldn’t. I removed the horseshoe because the clip that holds it in place was missing.

Since I had the car jacked by the differential I decided to try and see if my e-brake handle would go up. It would not. I said screw it and cut the cable that went to it, the handle went up.

As I sat there and looked at my car I said this is going to be a lot of time and effort to replace this system. Let alone money. I didn’t plan on selling the car anytime soon, nor do I live in an area with a lot of hills ( Florida ) so I said screw it and took off the other wheel and removed that horse shoe too.

So yea my car needed a new front cable, and a clip to hold the left rear horseshoe but the car runs and currently has no e-brake… lol
Old 02-28-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol..
slp line lock... that can be ur new ebrake ;D

Quick Reply: E-brake wont go up and rear brakes are locked up!