Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Aftermarket Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Pads and Rotors

Hey,
I want some very very good stopping power without making too huge of a hole in my wallet. Id like to spend no more than $600 when said and done.
Right now I have Wearever OEM replacement rotors all the way around along with Duralast Ceramic pads all the way around. They dont stop really well. I dont know if its because the rotor, or pad, but the rotors and pads are brand new with less than 700 miles.
Id like to buy something more top of the li ne such as Hawk Ceramic pads and possibly a Brembo slotted rotor?
I also know that Baer makes a new OEM replacement rotor called Decela thats drilled and slotted...

Any recommendations as far as what rotor/pad combo to go with for ultimate stopping power?

I was talking to someone on here who seems like he knows his stuff. He said rotors really dont matter when it comes to stopping fast. Whether its Brembos metal, or GM's metal its all metal..... He said pads matter more so than rotors and Im not disagreeing with him. I just need some good opinions on Pads/Rotors, because personally I dont believe mine are very good.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If you are just looking for better-than-stock and stay on a budget:
* Brembo OEM blanks or AutoZone Duralast rotors (some on here autox with these)
* Hawke HPS pads (or a more aggressive pad if you wish -- pads are the actual friction material and make a bigger impact on braking performance than rotors)
* ATE Super Blue brake fluid (you'd be surprised how much a flush/bleed with new/better fluid improves pedal feel, and of course many other better properties of the new/better fluid)

If you want an improvement in braking for a little more money:
(in addition to above)
* C5 rotors and the requisite brackets and other items to make them fit
* More aggressive pads
* wider/stickier tires (yes tires, they are your physical contact to the ground)

If you want to spend more money:
* Big Brake Kit

If you want more info check out the Brake FAQ and do some searching (not getting judgmental even though I may sound it).
Old 02-28-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ceramic pads or Composite?

Hawk? or GM? I think GMs pads are pretty good.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

see ben at raceconcepts.net
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want a killer combo.. i'll give you 2 different ways you can do it..

#1 staying with the stock size rotor.. (by the way, are you sure you need new rotors? are yours warped?)

Duralast rotors from Autozone.. i have road raced on these for a year.. no problems
Brembo Blanks.. more expensive but "probably" a higher quality metal used..
Super Blue ATE fluid.. complete flush
Stainless Steel braided brake hoses.. (will reduce flex of the brake line under HARD stops)
Hawk HPS pads... very good

this would cost you about $320 roughly

#2 scenario
if you want to go with the bigger 13" corvette brake upgrade..
Kore3 C5 brake brackets...(allow you to use corvette calipers, or LS1 calipers with C5 carriers)
GM or Duralast or Brembo 13" corvette rotors (about$26 at autozone or checker)
Super blue ATE fluid.. OR Motul 600 (if you really need it)
Stainless Steel braided brake hoses
Hawk HP-Plus.. auto X, semi road racing pad..

This scenario 2 would cost about $450 roughly total for everything listed above..

and of course there is scenario 3.. going all out and calling up Stoptech for their 4 piston system for $1999...

if you need info on the Kore3 C5 brackets.. PM me..
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought it was best to NOT run stainless steel braided lines on a street car. If I remember correctly, dirt can work its way into the braiding of the hose and eventually work its way down into the ruber core.

Can anybody confirm this?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey7489
I was talking to someone on here who seems like he knows his stuff. He said rotors really dont matter when it comes to stopping fast. Whether its Brembos metal, or GM's metal its all metal..... He said pads matter more so than rotors and Im not disagreeing with him. I just need some good opinions on Pads/Rotors, because personally I dont believe mine are very good.
That most likely was me, because I find myself telling folks that a lot--and I stand by that statement, assuming I made it to you. Where good rotors matter is in terms or warp resistance and just overall durability, and Brembo's are the cat's *** there. Slotting, drilling and all that is just wasting money, weakening the rotor and causing a loss of swept area.

Brembo's will not stop the car faster. If you need rotors, then they are a hell of an upgrade and are about $260 for a set of 4.

Pads and tires stop the car. Hawk HP Pluses are about the most powerful street workable pad you can get. Fronts are $120 a set, rears 'round about $95. Not cheap, but you have lower end pads and clearly don't like the performance...... The downside is they aren't clean, but the dust is easy to remove.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-03-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Sam do you have any leads on getting Brembo rotors with a Zinc coating?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Nope, the Brembo's are not coated and I don't have anyone who does. And really, who cares? It'd be easy enough to hit the centers with brake caliper paint if it's that big a deal, but in all honesty all you really see behind the wheels is the friction area, which is bare, or has surface rust that will disappear when you drive the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

FWIW, DOT stainless lines have a plastic coating to keep dirty out of the braids. I only sell DOT approved stainless lines.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Hawkes FTW
Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Nope, the Brembo's are not coated and I don't have anyone who does. And really, who cares? It'd be easy enough to hit the centers with brake caliper paint if it's that big a deal, but in all honesty all you really see behind the wheels is the friction area, which is bare, or has surface rust that will disappear when you drive the car.
Right, but some of us would like to keep the non-swept area shiny too
Old 03-05-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

then paint the damn things with 1500* silver engine enamel..
Old 03-05-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a super cheap route and will work very well.

Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads (lifetime warranty). I just purchased the front pads part#0749-20 for $29.99(cheap) and two Duralast rotors (2 year warranty) @39.99 each at Autozone. Also buy one quart of Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid $5.99 and one can of brake cleaner $3.99.

Last edited by gollum; 03-05-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

What are PFC-CARBON-METALIC Brake Pads? I see they have them forsale at autozone for $30 a set.

Any good?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey7489
What are PFC-CARBON-METALIC Brake Pads? I see they have them forsale at autozone for $30 a set.

Any good?
Your car will stop lots better using them trust me. No sponsor will comment simply because it will kill his business.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gollum
Your car will stop lots better using them trust me. No sponsor will comment simply because it will kill his business.

I dont think there is much truth to the last sentence of this statement..
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

You could just try new pads - I've got Hawk HPS all around and they stop great. I'm thinking about trying EBC greenstuff (Kevlar pads), next, though, due to their "lack" of dust, and they are also supposedly great for stopping power.

Changing the rotors won't really help much with stopping (unless you go to a larger size), so try the pads. If you don't have the responsiveness you want, try the fluid and SS lines (if I was going to bother with the fluid, I'd change the lines at the same time).
Old 03-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Teching In

i dont know who told u that rotors dont help ur stopping...but thats not exactly true...slotted, drilled rotors cool faster, therefore improving the performance of ur pads and making both ur pads and rotors last longer (rotors warp because of the heat beared on them, if u didnt know)

i had the same problem u did...i couldnt stop for ****....

call these ppl (r1 concepts 714-777-2323) and order u some zinc plated, slotted and drilled rotors (all 4 for only $170 SHIPPED!!!)...then go with the hawk ceramic pads....VERY CHEAP and VERY EFFECTIVE...i can stop on a dime now...
Old 03-07-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RUSTYTA
i dont know who told u that rotors dont help ur stopping...but thats not exactly true...slotted, drilled rotors cool faster, therefore improving the performance of ur pads and making both ur pads and rotors last longer (rotors warp because of the heat beared on them, if u didnt know)

i had the same problem u did...i couldnt stop for ****....

call these ppl (r1 concepts 714-777-2323) and order u some zinc plated, slotted and drilled rotors (all 4 for only $170 SHIPPED!!!)...then go with the hawk ceramic pads....VERY CHEAP and VERY EFFECTIVE...i can stop on a dime now...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/353903-brake-faq.html

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Pads and Rotors