Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI Performance

Hey guys. I come to you in peace

Anyhow, does anyone here have any experience or feedback about UMI Performance? They seem to have a whole lot of A/B/F/G/W-Body suspension parts.

They also appear to carry 79-04 Mustang parts. Which is why I'm here. I'm figuring with such an array of GM parts, someone most likely has experience with this company and could tell me if they are satisfied with their products. I'll be doing a search also but, I felt that fresh responses on this wouldn't be so bad considering I didn't see any UMI topics on the first couple pages.

Thanks ahead of time, guys.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

I just ordered a Torque Arm and Lower Control Arms this evening. I'll let you know as soon as I get them. I've heard nothing but good things about their stuff. That's why I finally broke down and ordered.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have their lca's and chrome moly double adjustable panhard bar, their products are great, i need to order their chrome moly adjustable torque arm to go with the 9" i just purchased.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback guys. Feel free to chime in if you have anymore input. I have received a couple PM's about concerns I should look out for, so please be candid.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Thanks for the interest in our products.

If you do a search for "UMI" you will find very good feedback on us as well as many customers using our products. We have a great reputation for making very high quality items. You can also take a look at our trading feedback rating which is 100%.

If you have any questions regarding our items please ask and I will be glad to assist you.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 03-01-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on both great customer support and products....I have their LCAs and Lower PHB on my car, superior products and they are cheaper than most other brands...
Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

short stick, adj tq arm, lca's, and tranny mount relocation bracket here. no problems here. great quality products.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

As of this afternoon i plan on having some UMI LCAS and a PHB installed on my car, and will let you know what i think of 'em
Old 03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Subframe connectors, single-adjustable lower control arms and an adjsutable torque arm (on the way) for me. Good stuff!

-Mike
Old 03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks again. It's good to hear that they have many satisfied customers. I will now hopefully be conversing with the UMI representative here on these forums about any concerns I may have. You have all been helpful, thank you for taking it easy on the "other guy".
Old 03-01-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly they were a bit slow on shipping. I ordered two lower control arms, panhard rod, and relocation brackets on Feb 13 and didn't receive the items until Feb 27 (two full weeks), I had to reschedule my car going into the shop because I was supposed to have them the week before. No big deal, I'll have the stuff installed this weekend! woohoo!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Short stick, LCA's, relocation brackets, and PHB on the way. I am very impressed with their quality of work and customer service, especially for the prices.

Derek
Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Teching In

I have there STB, panhard, and LCAs. All real good quality stuff.
However, my current order with UMI is a bit of a disapointment.

Ordered a set of SFCs and DS loop on 2/5/07 and still have not received them.
The website even shows it as "no tracking info available." It has been long enough however to get my monthly CC statement and see I was charged right away tho!

A few days after ordering I received a email saying that the DS loop was unavailable because they are re-designing it. Thats fine, but there was no notice of that on there website, and there still isnt.

Ive emailed a few times, and finally called the other day and was told my order should ship by the end of the week. Well it hasnt shipped yet and tomorrow is friday so we will see how they do.

All in all, if you have time to kill by waiting for these parts, definitly order them , they are a real high quality peice and im sure you will like them. If your like me tho and need them to get the car ready for the spring, you may want to look elsewhere, at least until they get there shipping issues straight.

Joe
Old 03-01-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

How many times do they have to say "We're very busy and behind schedule" before people believe them? If you have to have your parts RIGHT NOW, they probably can't help you, but if you're willing to wait, you'll get your parts.

-Mike
Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stuff, and Ryan is very helpful on the phone. Actually told me NOT to buy the more expensive of the two parts I was looking at because I wouldn't need it in my application.

I've got....on-car adj. PHB, chassis-mounted adj. TA w/ DS loop, STB, 3pt SFCs, LCA relocation brackets. Everything has fit great and all of the parts and welds are top-knotch. Great instructions included with the parts as well. I also plan on buying their C5 brake upgrade kit. I'm definitely a UMI ****...want to sponsor me guys? I'd like to drop some weight off the front of my car
Old 03-02-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You shouldn't have any trouble with UMI, they F'ing rock. They stand by their products unlike some of the other vendors here. I only use UMI for suspension.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
How many times do they have to say "We're very busy and behind schedule" before people believe them? If you have to have your parts RIGHT NOW, they probably can't help you, but if you're willing to wait, you'll get your parts.

-Mike
No one said anything about not beleiving them. What I am saying is that I dont know about you, but I dont sit on the forums everyday and look for someone from the company to post up about being very busy. I know they make very high quality peices, from owning other UMI parts. Thats why I went right to there website to order my SFCs/DSL. The website which still does not say anything about being backed up or which items are out of stock. So as for "Howmany times to they have to say were busy and behind schedule", well this would be the first time Ive heard any word of this.

And for the record, most people order parts for there car because they want them now, not a month from when they order it, especially if they have already been charged for them.

All im saying is that I think it wouldnt be a bad thing for whoever manages the website at UMI to take 10 minutes and update the website. Even if you dont want to put "Orders may be delayed because we are busy" on the front page, at least on the individual item pages put down if the item is temp out of stock or discontinued awaiting a redesign like my DS loop was. I think you would have alot less disapointed people.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 89TransAmWS6
No one said anything about not beleiving them. What I am saying is that I dont know about you, but I dont sit on the forums everyday and look for someone from the company to post up about being very busy. I know they make very high quality peices, from owning other UMI parts. Thats why I went right to there website to order my SFCs/DSL. The website which still does not say anything about being backed up or which items are out of stock. So as for "Howmany times to they have to say were busy and behind schedule", well this would be the first time Ive heard any word of this.

And for the record, most people order parts for there car because they want them now, not a month from when they order it, especially if they have already been charged for them.

All im saying is that I think it wouldnt be a bad thing for whoever manages the website at UMI to take 10 minutes and update the website. Even if you dont want to put "Orders may be delayed because we are busy" on the front page, at least on the individual item pages put down if the item is temp out of stock or discontinued awaiting a redesign like my DS loop was. I think you would have alot less disapointed people.
Any time I'm getting ready to buy parts from a sponsor on this site, I jump into the Sponsor Feedback section and poke around a little. For me, it's part of my research process, just like figuring out whether I want rod ends or poly bushings, mild steel or chrome moly, etc. I take a lot of the complaining with a grain of salt, but if you can get past some of the whining in that section, there's some good information to be had. When I went to buy my torque arm, I spent a few minutes in that section and saw a handful of threads from people asking why their UMI orders were taking so long. Ryan responded to them, saying they're really backed up. I also PM'd Ryan with some questions and it took him a while to answer them. I decided the part was worth the wait, so I went ahead with the order.

I'd love to get all my parts overnighted to me, but it's just not practical. When my Camaro stopped being my daily driver, timing became less of a concern.

That's just me, though. I get where you're coming from. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for Ryan to change the shipping times to reflect how busy they are. It's a little tougher with parts like theirs, where it's not an off-the-shelf item.

-Mike
Old 03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Material, parts, labor, etc. cost money. It's pretty standard procedure to charge when an order comes through, because someone needs paid for those parts to be built. UMI is very busy, that I can vouch for. And it'd be a nightmare to take orders, pack orders, *THEN* charge orders. After all--we can bad credit cards, and cards that otherwise won't run. Then you have to find the order, pull the order, unpack the order, etc.

I bet you get paid for your work even if it's not done. All salaried employee's do, only straight commission workers get pair strictly by the job as it's done... and nobody likes working that way. You pay contractors before all the work is done. This isn't really different.

UMI sold you parts. First thing that happens is you pay for the parts. Then the parts ship. In a perfect world those things would happen together. That's no possible unless the very same person is doing both jobs, and that's not the case there, and not likely anywhere.

I'm sure the parts are coming, but I'd suggest if you are really worried to just call Ryan before spouting off on the net. It sends a bad message, and it just might be that UPS lost your stuff, and it's not UMI's fault at all.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-03-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What ever happened to the days before Internet ordering? If someone told you their product would ship a certain day and arrive within a certain timeframe, it did ... in my experiences.

If you order from just about any company (again, from my experience) these days, you'll usually get your parts in a reasonable amount of time. It's a pretty solid fact from the tons of items I have ordered online.

The problem I had from a certain company (not UMI) is that I had a specific time my car was going in the shop for sameday/turnkey motor work and dynojet tuning. I needed the dual exhaust setup I ordered. I called a sales rep (of a company I will not mention here) on the pre-condition my dual exhaust would be here and I would have it installed before the next Saturday just before the car was scheduled to go in the shop the following Monday. The Sales guy assured me over the phone he would get it shipped the next morning, which was on a Friday ... giving the exhaust about a week or so to get to my door. I stated VERY clearly I did not want to order unless he could guarantee it would ship the next day (Friday).

Guess what? It did not ship that Friday. Guess what else? I didn't have it before the car went into the shop 10 days later on the Monday following the weekend I was supposed to install the exhaust.

I had already taken the day off and could not re-schedule that. Being a salaried employee, I had to work 'til midnight to catch up from the previous day. You see, I work in a job where you can't just drop work and get paid for not doing it. I got paid for the day off, but, it cost me dearly the next night and I had to drive away from the shop only to drive away with substandard power all because of the exhaust ... worked past midnight the following day to make up for the work I had not completed ... 16-hour day. I was in the military for for 21 years ... you get paid for days off, but, you still cannot 'just not do you work'. This is over-stating the fact, but, I'll say it. If we decide to kill 40+ terrorists one day, we can't take off work and not finish the job .... thinking they will just die on their own and not be there to blow our head off the next day ... hey, we get paid for it, so, doesn't matter if the job gets done, right? Wrong. Sorry to rant about that, but, just the general principal of anyone indicating salaried employees can just walk away from their work unfinished just because they still get paid is OK ... well, it bothers me because that has not been the case in either of my two careers.

Could I have re-scheduled the motor work? Yes, but why should I have HAD to just because I was lied to. If the company was so overwhelmed they couldn't get the duals out to me when they guaranteed me they would ... why didn't this guy just simply tell me? To this day, I wonder if the competition was so tough that he was THAT desperate to make a sale? I truly don't know, but, I do know when the exhaust system arrived, I had to send it back because it was too late to install it. The owner or manager (whichever he was) of the company agreed to accept the shipment back and refund my money.

That was good, but, he continued to say the same thing I'm hearing from some folks here. We're overwhelmed and have hired more people on. It's a really busy time of year and we are sorry, but, we're just SO backed up.

I'll never do business with that company again. Someone else has been getting my business. The owner or manager kept defending the Sales guy openly on LS1TECH.COM and believed the Sales guy ... only to continuously defended him ... came just short of calling me a liar openly on here.

If you ask somebody for a guarantee and get it verbally, shouldn't that be honored? Should you have to be called everything but a liar? Especially when you told the guy you did not want to order unless he could guarantee it went out the next day like he suggested it would? Even guaranted it would? It didn't even go out the following Monday. I was lied to AGAIN and was told it did. I explained to him what would happen to me if I did not get it when he promised. He dropped the ball and then I was made out to be the bad guy.

I'm getting ready to buy a new K-member and upper/lower control arms from UMI. I believe they are a good company or I would not be buying from them. I hope they ship the products when they say they will. I believe they will. All I ask is that any company I purchase from honors their shipping policies or they notify me of a delay. That was my problem with the OTHER company. They guy who made the guarantee didn't care and never notified me ... knowing my exhaust would not get here when he guaranteed it would ship the next day.

He finally sent me an email, but, it was after I called and raised hell with them over the phone when I called to check on my parts and was told ... OOPS! They didn't ship Friday ... OOPS! We're so busy and backlogged. OOPS! We are so far behind.

P.S.: The carrier did not drop the ball on the exhaust delivery. It was purely the company I purchased from ... guaranteed ... after clearly stating I will not order unless I can get that guarantee. Some folks word is simply not their bond these days. I miss the days when you could depend on what a man (or woman for that matter) told you. It's called honesty and Customer Care.