Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

(You Must Read) Fixed Rate or Variable Rate Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I have seen sam's car on his trailer, Iv'e seen sam's car on course, Iv'e ridden with him during AX, and I've ridden the fast lap around brookville which has worse roads than amishville. Not once did we scrape, clunk, shimmy or shudder. His headers don't even come close with his car strapped down to or when driving off of his trailer.

Second, Before I made the decision to go with a particular part. I lurked, asked around, inspected others cars, and became fully informed of the pro's and cons. Sam was not the only one I talked to, but was willing to help. Everyone who manufactures parts claims the be-all-end all performance upgrade, but it is up to the one with the $ to make an informed decision. Seeing through hype and bull-**** is a skill just like driving. Did I make the same mistakes, yes. Did I learn from them, Yes. Do I buy everything from Sam, No. Do I have things that I like and he doesn't, yes. If you listen to / believe the commercials you end up purchasing things that do not help in unison or are the worst product with the best marketing. SLP long tube headers, for example.

Forget about this guy Sam, not worth the ulcer. Just like GC. Always a problem. You are so willing to help this type of individual, and I applaud your efforts to sway him into reality.
Ted B
Old 03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok ...I have installed just the rear SLP springs so far and removed that raspy *** truck sounding GMMG exhaust. Here are pictures of the car with just rear springs installed (1/2" drop with 1/2 tank of gas) and the new 1998 WS6/SS single outlet exhaust (car has a much more enjoyable tone until you nail the throttle...deep throaty tone with NO RASP!)

I think the stance is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails (You Must Read) Fixed Rate or Variable Rate Springs-p1000263.jpg   (You Must Read) Fixed Rate or Variable Rate Springs-p1000244.jpg   (You Must Read) Fixed Rate or Variable Rate Springs-p1000266.jpg  

Last edited by gollum; 03-09-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gollum
BULLSHIT! All 4 into 1 long tube headers WILL drag especially over speed bumps lowered or not lowered.

Anyway...fixed rate springs are easier to dampen than variable rate springs.
Man are you full of the stuff coming out the south end of a north bound bull! Our Pacesetters have no scratches on them from being drug all the time... Durrr... Maybe because they DON'T DRAG!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gollum
Ok ...I have installed just the rear SLP springs so far and removed that raspy truck sounding GMMG exhaust. Here are pictures of the car with just rear springs installed (1/2" drop with 1/2 tank of gas) and the new 1998 WS6/SS single outlet exhaust (car has a much more enjoyable tone until you nail the throttle...deep throaty tone with NO RASP!)

I think the stance is perfect.
Your car sits too high.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry Sam...That improper remark was deleted. Sam knows suspension.

Respectfully, Keith
Old 03-09-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

So you posted a quote about linear rates how they are superior, and then you put a set of progressive rate springs on? Are you disagreeing with your own first post?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

No...I bought the SLP's mainly for the rear springs. Until someone will release a stiffer linear front spring (I know the OEM springs are linear but only 292 rate) with near stock ride height, I will use the stiffer SLP Progressive 300/450 rate fronts with my future heavier iron block 408-427.

Last edited by gollum; 03-09-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: (You Must Read) Fixed Rate or Variable Rate Springs