Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4 wheel alignment on a 99Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation 4 wheel alignment on a 99Z

i was always told 4 wheel alignments were for front wheel drive cars?
i took my 99 camaro into the dealership to get an alignment today and they said camaros need a 4 wheel alignment
2wheel was 59.xx
4 whell was 99.xx

are they just trting to rape my billfold 40$ at the chevrolet dealership?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Launching!

There are no factory adjustments in the rear of a Camaro, so you'd only need a 2-wheel alignment. They can check the thrust angles, tracking, etc. in the rear but there is no adjustment for it... At least with factory control arms, panhard, etc. Corvette's, for example, are candidates for 4-wheel alignments since they have independent rear suspension.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But if you do have an adjustable PHR and LCA's you can correct the rear end as they can be sloppy from the factory.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and this is why i dont go to the dealer for anything other than touch up paint...
Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, theyre trying to get an extra 40 bucks out of you. Like said above, unless you have adjustable rear pieces, theres no point.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

yea you got it up the bum without lube.

Fbodies have a solid rear axle...therefore unless you have an adjustable rear suspension you only have to 'toe and go' on the front (unless you're lowered or slammed a ditch)

i work at a shop and am working the alignment rack for a better part of the time i'm there. i'd got get your money back if i was you...
Old 03-08-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

yea thats what i thought

im gonna go back and complain.

cost total was 119.85

99.xx for the alignment and
$ 9.99 for " enviornmental/supply fee" ( wtf supplies do u need for an align!!!!!)
+ tax
Old 03-08-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF?? Environmental supplies? Charging you for the radiation that the lasers put off maybe? haha.

When I got my 87 aligned, I had a "4 wheel". But basically I just had them use the machine to center my rear axle with the adjustable panhard bar. Figured they could get it closer with the lasers than I could with a tape measure.

Go back and ask them to show you how they adjusted the rear. Make them walk out to your car and point to the adjustable areas. If they make a feable attempt at blowing smoke up your ***, rip them a new one about ripping you off!!

Justin
Old 03-10-2007, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

basiclly when you do a 4 wheel alignment your adjusting the thrust/toe to the back rear wheels but keeping the total toe in specs......this meens your steering wheel will be straight gaurenteed... even if the rear is out.... ive seen rear tubes bent and this 4 wheel will tell you that... but really you need a good tech at the dealer doing this otherwise a rookie wont care and miss this. as far as what you payed,what the hell is causing a enviorment hazard,supply fee??? theres no shims anymore,nothin to add.

go in there and ask the manager asap...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Launching!

update
Old 03-29-2007, 04:35 PM
On the tree

I know most of our dealers here all have the "Enviromental Fees" sign on the shop door. Our is like 4% of the ticket price not to exceed $12. There is no way around it, but they are "suppossed" to use it for when nuts and bolts need to be replaced as well.

As far as the 4wh thing goes, I would call around to other GM dealers and see what they offer you and or say. Then call regular ole alignment shops seeing as they all use the same alignment machines.

When you pay for 4whl alignment it means they are suppossed to make changes to the rear wheels, well seeing as everything is either non adjustable from the factory or welded to where it cant be adjusted the only thing that is hooked to the rear is the alignment laser in order to get the specs for all 4 wheels and to be able to see the changes made to the front wheels.

I would be down there and talking to the service Advisor and or Service Manager and let them know that unless they know of some new adjustment that a fixed live rear axle has then you want your $40 plus tax back.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a fully adjustable rear suspension ( LGM) had my car aligned @ a Chevy dealer... $49.99!! I was happy...

As i was turned away from many other places for my car being lowered, long tubes, etc... They would not touch it!

Car is now straight as an arrow... yep, i say you got

Anyway, is the car straight now?

Quick Reply: 4 wheel alignment on a 99Z