Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear shock/spring install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear shock/spring install help

i have a couple questions since my rear install isn't going anywhere near as easy as everyone elses has.

i'm following the instructions on ls1howto.com and i'm at the point to pull the rear spring out and remove the nut holding the bottom of the shock.

first, i can't get the spring off it's perch. i don't think the rear is dropped all the way because i can feel some "play" in it if i push down on it. any suggestions on how to get this to pop out?

second, what size is this nut? mine isn't 13/16 or 7/8. i think it might be metric.

thanks.

Last edited by iamsickofitall; 03-10-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Once you unbolt either the top of the shock or the bottom, the rearend will drop enough to let you get the spring out. I was able to remove the bottom nut with an SAE (either 13/16" or 7/8") socket. There's a flat spot on the other side of the mounting bracket. Make sure you get a wrench on that to hold it still while you try to get that nut off. Otherwise it will spin.

-Mike
Old 03-10-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was able to get the bolt off with my tire iron...still don't know what size it is but it fit perfectly. now i'm trying to get the completely rusted nut off the top of one of the front shocks...ugh

and the fun part is that i already rounded off the top of the flat spot
Old 03-10-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm confused ..you say u cannot get the spring off..yet it is sitting on the ground...do you mean SHOCK.??????
Old 03-10-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is a pic taken from ls1howto.com - i was having trouble with the passenger side spring. once i got that nut off the shock, i was fine...just took a little muscle with a small pry bar
Old 03-10-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
that is a pic taken from ls1howto.com - i was having trouble with the passenger side spring. once i got that nut off the shock, i was fine...just took a little muscle with a small pry bar
OOHHHHH...sorry man..didn't know..yeah..pry bars do come in handy alot...
Old 03-11-2007, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

I just finished my suspension last night. First The bolt holding the rear shock to the rear end is a 22mm use a breaker bar and a pipe to go on the end of it for maximum torque to bust the nut off, If you use a rachet you will run the risk of breaking it since youll be aplying alot of torque to loosen the nut, (mine was super tight). Second my springs wouldnt come out either even once I lowered the rear end, get a spring compressor, you'll only be abnle to use one of the two part of the spring compressor compress the spring and pull it out.

Hope I havnt lost you on all of this, if so send me a pm and Ill guide you throught it. I ran into the same problems as you did, when I did my buddies 99SS and on my car that we completed last night.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

nvm, looks like you already got it done.

Quick Reply: rear shock/spring install help