Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problem with QA1 set up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with QA1 set up.

Just installed my QA1 12 way adj shock on all four corners. Installed the 300lb shocks up front. This is an iron block LT1 car. The battery is relocated to the rear, the front sway bar is removed, no front metal bumper, light weight hood. The problem we have had is the car sets too low. We started with the shock half way up. The car set with the wheels "up into" the fender well. We then adjusted the shock to about 3/4 of the way up. I don't have the exact measurement, but it is probably 13 inches or so. The car now has about 1-1 1/2" of "fender well gap". My concern is if I get any lateral movement by the shock (since its so far up) it may break off. I called QA1 they didn't act too concerned, they said start at 1/2 way up, and adjust from there, 2/3 of the way up is about right (they said). This car is a street/strip car. Its a 94 model TA and it has 50,000 original miles, so this gives you an idea of how much I drive it.

I'd rather not go with the 325lb spring if I don't have to, does anyone have a similar experience, or any suggestions? Help please.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my qa1s were low with a 300 spring. You may have to put them pretty close to the top, or put your stock springs and modified perches on.

and if you have to dissasemble these shocks again, i suggest you put thrust bearings in. I just put a set on my qa1's and its so much easier to adjust.