Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pics of my drop....NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oooooo!!!! Gotcha....hmmm I cant decide which to go with....I mean I dont mind spending a little more money if its that much better....

Would the Konis ride better? smoother or what?

Ok just have to ask this ONCE more....my tires arent going to wear fast or anything because of my shitty shocks and springs are they?? Also My cars like to veer to the left with the new tires on....Should I get an alignment ASAP or what??
Old 04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Oooooo!!!! Gotcha....hmmm I cant decide which to go with....I mean I dont mind
spending a little more money if its that much better....

Would the Konis ride better? smoother or what?

Ok just have to ask this ONCE more....my tires arent going to wear fast or
anything because of my shitty shocks and springs are they?? Also My cars like to
veer to the left with the new tires on....Should I get an alignment ASAP or
what??
If you can, try and get either of the Koni's. The cheaper 3rd gen is harder to adjust, but it's not like your going to be adjusting it all the time. Maybe you'll go through all 4 adjustment settings and then back to your favorite. Then you will be done. Getting the Koni will at least give you control over how the back rides.

Why are you asking me the same question? I'll give you same answer. Springs and shocks aren't going to make the tire wear funny or excessively. That is effected by the alignment. If it pulls to one side that's a sign the alignment is off, so get it fixed ASAP.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

SORRY its just everyone at where I work say my tires arent going to last....so I just had to make sure....

They can align my car even tho my suspension is screwed right?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

You seem to be all over the place and worrying about everything. Your going to drive yourself crazy and get nowhere. Stop for a second, figure out what you want your car to do. Take on one problem at a time.

First thing I'd do is replace those springs with whatever application you feel is good for your height, get Koni single adjustable shocks, and replace those bumpstops and spacers with just z28 bumpstops. Nothing else.. just those. Get all of that stuff in, drive your car to see how it rides, and work on the next thing. For extremely low springs, no shock would be ideal for it in my opinion, but at least Koni's I'd imagine would come the closest to dampening them better.

You'd need around 1000 bucks to buy all these parts. I would save up money for these rather than half assing it with some cheaper shocks.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I just took the rear spacers off and I must say it does ride better.....Actually a little less bouncy now it seems....

I plan on buying DMS springs....I think....I like the look of those...BUT I want the sportline look.....And Im not sure about shocks yet....I will go 4th Gen Koni's in the Rear....But I may want GC coilover or QA1 coilovers in the front.....

Now im worried about getting an alignment cause everyone I called wont do it on a lowered car....GRRRRR....Firestone will but I cant get it on the ramps.....
Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I wouldn't say you need to have $1000 to do it right, but you do have to choose your parts wisely. You can't go wrong with a koni rear shock, whichever one you choose.

Why do you keep saying your suspension is screwed? How is it worse than when it left the factory? Consider that the factory springs are way too soft and the DeCarbon shocks are very weak. Even mismatched shocks and springs will not effect the tire wear. It's the alignment that will wear the tires out. Look up the terms toe, camber and castor and read all about them.

In the front you may HAVE to go witrh the QA1 front's to keep the ride decent at that low of a height. I know the Bilstein and Koni shocks are going to ride rough due to the limited suspension travel they have.

It can sometimes be hard having a low car, I told you that before. I carry around 4 2x4x12" blocks with the end cut at a 45* angle. When I get a flat tire I have to drive the rim edge onto a block just to get my floor jack under the car. Away from home I use my factory scissor jack as it is very low. I also use the wood to help get my car onto and off of drive-on lifts. I also got my alignment done at Firestone and had to use my blocks to get on the lift.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah Im getting my allignment done tomorrow at Cable Dahlmer Chevrolete....A buddy of mine works there and he said they get lowered vetts all the time....

Yeah I have to use a scissor jack too!!

Ok here are my measurements from the ground to the fender...I measured at the center of the wheel

FRONT
Drivers side - 25"
Passenger Side - 25 1/4"

REAR
Drivers Side - 26 3/8"
Passenger Side - 26 1/4"

And your saying the lowest I can go is 26" all the way around? I may be able to live with that if the ride is really good.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah Im getting my allignment done tomorrow at Cable Dahlmer Chevrolete....A buddy of mine works there and he said they get lowered vetts all the time....

Yeah I have to use a scissor jack too!!

Ok here are my measurements from the ground to the fender...I measured at the center of the wheel

FRONT
Drivers side - 25"
Passenger Side - 25 1/4"

REAR
Drivers Side - 26 3/8"
Passenger Side - 26 1/4"

And your saying the lowest I can go is 26" all the way around? I may be able to live with that if the ride is really good.
I'm saying that my car rides good at 26" front. I have a mess load of parts under there though that I can tweak. My front springs are 550lbs and ride height is fully adjustable, rear springs are 160lbs and ride height is fully adjustable. My Koni SA shocks are adjustable as well. With these parts I'm saying MY car can ride very smooth at 26" front height.

It's hard to say if yours would ride smoothly at that height with different suspension parts. If you want to be sure, try and duplicate your friends suspension that rode so well.

I think the QA1 fronts are like $460 a set (or so, I can't look them up as my work computer is fritzing on me) and they include the spring and shock and the ride height is fully adjustable so you can try different heights. I also believe they have an adjustment **** on them, but I'm not sure what it adjusts exactly. Then get some used factory rear springs and Koni 3rd gen rear shocks. That's like under $700 plus the shipping, not too shabby.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I mean I dont mind spending money on good parts...I just dont want to end up dissapointed and feel I have wasted money....

Can you go any lower in the front? or are you basically at the limit?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

All the parts I just mentioned are good parts, but the QA1 stuff is not known for handling as much as it is for drag racing or cruising. Bump up the rear Konis to the 4th gen for a little more money and easier adjustment and you would be set. I went for more of a corner carver setup.

I"ve had my car lower, remember the pic earlier? I think it was at 25" front and rear. That was just for a day as it rode too rough for me. I raised it to 25 3/4" and it was much better, but I decided to go to 26" right before i got it aligned. Now that is with the Koni SA front shocks. The QA1's should have more travel up front and ride smoother at the lower heights than my setup.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

So if I go QA1's in the front I can have it lower than 26"? I would like 25 1/2" in the front and 26" in the rear....IF POSSIBLE

Yeah Im definitely going with 4th gens in the rear....I still cant decide what springs I want tho....How can I tell if my springs will be good enough?

I do enjoy handling but Im more of a cruiser/street kind of guy....I do plan on going track racing too....not going to be a big deal or anything like that...but just for fun with some buddies....nothing competitive.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why don't you call up QA1 and ask them about the shock length to see if they are shorter than normal for these cars. I'm assuming they are since your friend had them and it rode smooth.

26" in the back is asking a lot. There is only so much room before the axle hits the exhaust. Some 150lb rear springs and some good shocks along with the better bumpstops will help in the rear a lot. It may still bang on the stops every now and then, but it will not be a big bang like right now.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

my01ws6, have you done any searching? There's more info about suspension already discussed than you can imagine. Instead of asking here and waiting one or two guys to answer... or not answer, you would probably benefit way more to just learn about the stuff yourself by doing a search.

The reason why I'm recommending you search is because your thinking of combining a QA1 front with a Koni rear. You are waaaaaay off. That's a drag shock combined with a road handling shock.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28bryan
The reason why I'm recommending you search is because your thinking of combining a QA1 front with a Koni rear. You are waaaaaay off. That's a drag shock combined with a road handling shock.
No, that's what I'm recommending to him.
How is it way off? He's not into drag racing, but due to his need for a extremely low ride height the QA1 may be his only choice. If you think the QA1 fronts should only be matched to QA1 rear shocks, then let me say this again, he is not a drag racer. Hopefully he'll have about a 150lb rear spring and the Koni is fine with that.

Either you haven't read this thread or you are not familiar with how springs and shocks work on these cars.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-03-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ah, here are the QA1's I was talking about.

http://umiperformance.com/gk7325?category_id=31

The front kit is $430 and the springs are stiffer than the drag version at 325lbs. Going by that picture as well as my memory of some cars using this setup being extremely low at the front when lined up at the drag strip I have to believe these shocks are shorter than stock.

Here's my Koni shock.

That QA1 is way shorter. You can probably put the nose in the dirt with them.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I just LOVE that raked look!!! I think it will look especially good once I put 18s in the rear along with 17s in the front....

Ok well I guess that is what I will try....I think I will call qa1 to be sure and to find out how much shorter they are....that way everyone will know for future reference!

Yeah I could really care less about drag racing....or autocross....I like to have fun on the streets.

Ok so you suggest QA1 shocks and springs in the front....and Koni SA w/ stock cut spring in the rear?

What are you running in the rear to get 26"? I dont mind 26" in the front, I can live with it as long as the ride makes up for it...

Last edited by my01ws6; 04-03-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

What are you running in the rear to get 26"?
Stock springs and it's 26 1/4". I did a combo of cutting and spacing to get the spring rate up to 160lbs. Every coil in the stock rear springs are worth 20lbs. I cut 1.25 coils and then deadened one coil with spacers. 115lbs+25+20=160lbs. I also made a scale to measure the spring rates so I've gotten pretty good and getting the rate I want out of them.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just wanted to mention that I think the key to having a low ride height is in running shorter tires. It will put the car lower as well as give you more room from the top of the tire to the fender so you can lower it even more.