Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone Interested In 14" Brake Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you that that all the front C5 an C6 rotors have the same offset and thickness. Only the diameter changes.

Both calipers stick out about the same.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I can tell you that that all the front C5 an C6 rotors have the same offset and thickness. Only the diameter changes.

Both calipers stick out about the same.
If both the CTS-V and Z06 calipers stick out the same then looks like I will have to run a spacer.

The Z06 rotor must "sit" closer to the wheel vs. the stock rotor. If anyone else know for sure let me know. I guess I could buy a Z06 rotor, only 90 bucks, and sit it on a flat surface next to a stock rotor and see the depth difference between the two at the location were the rotor meets the spindle.

Bummer I was hoping to get away with no spacers with the CTS-V kit, I was hoping my wheels would clear like the 3rd gen guys do.

How about overall diameter including the caliper between the two set ups. I am wondering if one kit would be better than the other when it comes to clearance around the hoop of my 18" wheels?

Thanks for everyones help, chime in if you have some answers to my questions.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

What makes you think the Z-06 rotor sits closer to the wheel?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What makes you think the Z-06 rotor sits closer to the wheel?
Forum member Fastbird96 (sweet looking Black LT1 TA), has the same CCW's as I do only they are 19's and he had to use spacers to clear the Z06 calipers. The number may be wrong but from what I was told the CTS-V caliper max depth measuring from the rotor face to the outermost part of the caliper is only 1-1.1" out from the rotor face. I have anywhere from 1.5" to 2" of clearance from the rotor face to the spokes on my CCW's. So if the rotor doesn't sit closer to the wheel and the calipers only stick out 1-1.1" from the rotor face I shouldn't have any problem clearing the calipers without the use of spacers.

Maybe my thinking is wrong or I am not factoring in something that I should be. Or the measurement that I was told that the caliper only sit 1-1.1" from the rotor face is off. Maybe the member meant to tell me it was 1-1.1" further out from the caliper and not the rotor face?

Can anyone confirm how far the caliper sticks out from the rotor face and does the Z06 Rotor sit exacly where the stock rotor does? I am just trying to do some measuring to decide if I need spacer, if so how thick. This will also help my decision on if I am going CTS-V or Z06.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
Forum member Fastbird96 (sweet looking Black LT1 TA), has the same CCW's as I do only they are 19's and he had to use spacers to clear the Z06 calipers. The number may be wrong but from what I was told the CTS-V caliper max depth measuring from the rotor face to the outermost part of the caliper is only 1-1.1" out from the rotor face. I have anywhere from 1.5" to 2" of clearance from the rotor face to the spokes on my CCW's. So if the rotor doesn't sit closer to the wheel and the calipers only stick out 1-1.1" from the rotor face I shouldn't have any problem clearing the calipers without the use of spacers.

Maybe my thinking is wrong or I am not factoring in something that I should be. Or the measurement that I was told that the caliper only sit 1-1.1" from the rotor face is off. Maybe the member meant to tell me it was 1-1.1" further out from the caliper and not the rotor face?

Can anyone confirm how far the caliper sticks out from the rotor face and does the Z06 Rotor sit exacly where the stock rotor does? I am just trying to do some measuring to decide if I need spacer, if so how thick. This will also help my decision on if I am going CTS-V or Z06.
Let me try and explain it like this.
Do you have LS1 rotors and calipers right now?
Measure the distance from the caliper to the spokes.
Since both the 4 and 6 piston calipers plus the vette rotors will add 1", that's the gap you need right now.

Last edited by JasonWW; 02-25-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
Those you you guys that have researched this and have done mock set ups can you tell me how much depth the CTS-V caliper has when measured from the C6 Z06 Rotor face.
1 7/8" from C6 Z06 rotor HUB to caliper face. So if you have at least that from the mounting surface of your wheel to the spokes you are fine.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

fast post a pic where to measure i am pretty sure i nkow what you mean. but just for future people
Old 02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here you go. The dimension in the picture is NOT correct.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone Interested In 14" Brake Kit?-rotor.jpg  
Old 02-24-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still think it's easier to measure 1" from the stock f-body brake caliper to the spokes.

Just measure which ever way is easier. It's certainly not rocket science.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still think it's easier to measure 1" from the stock f-body brake caliper to the spokes.

Just measure which ever way is easier. It's certainly not rocket science.
Thanks for the help. I measured and will need to use a spacer to make them fit, I knew this would probably be the case. I just want to know what I am getting into before I order parts.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Banned

so the red circle needs to be 1 7/8" correct? how does that deal with the rims.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
so the red circle needs to be 1 7/8" correct? how does that deal with the rims.
Yes to the first part.

You measure that distance from your hub and then see whether your rim spokes clear it or not. Or you can take your wheel off the car and lay a ruler across the inside mounting surface and then take a 2nd ruler and measure 1 7/8" spoke depth and see if there is room.

If you use my method, you leave the wheel on. Just stick a ruler and measure if you have 1" where my fingers are.

As you can see, I have more than 1".
Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Banned

jason, one inch on stock calipers?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

jason, one inch on stock calipers?
Yes. Read post #245 again.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

thank you. sorry about all the questions. do you know, will a 17 in rim work?

also it says 4 and 6 piston calipers will add 1", the cts-v(04-07) is 4 pot. and the 09 is a 6 pot right?

and now that front is finsihed. how do you get nice rear ones. like the 04-07 v rear brakes. or the 09 rear braks.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

thank you. sorry about all the questions. do you know, will a 17 in rim work?

also it says 4 and 6 piston calipers will add 1", the cts-v(04-07) is 4 pot. and the 09 is a 6 pot right?

and now that front is finsihed. how do you get nice rear ones. like the 04-07 v rear brakes. or the 09 rear braks.
The very first sentence of the very first post.
First of all, this is for LS1 cars only and you need to have at least 18" rims.

I know nothing of the 09's.

My rears work fine, so I never looked into upgrading them.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason, do you htink there is any room in the material of the Brembo caliper to grind it down a bit for clearance? Like a lot of guys do with the stock LS1 calipers?

I have just a HAIR under one inch clearance and I really dont want to run a spacer because my offset is perfect right now
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Banned

^^^ just get a 1/16 in spacer. need one let me know
Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 AM

I've been reading through this thread and the other one but there is lots of info to collect. What I found is the following part numbers for the calipers:

The front calipers are:
89047726 and 89047727

The rear calipers are:
89047742 and 89047743

From what I read somewhere is that there are additional pieces needed with these calipers. Can you tell me how to purchase these pieces and if not, are there part numbers for the complete calipers?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here are some questions and answers from the thread Super Cheap Big Brake Kit - Info which is now closed, but will still be updated with info and pics.

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
I thought the Z06 rotors use 2 left rotors and one side doesn't cool properly? I think you are leaving out the fact only certain wheels will work and spacers are needed.

Also, wouldnt this kit be questionable in a race setup? I hope it is understood this is more of a street and bling setup than a reliable race setup.
GM only cast one rotor and it is used on both sides. Before the car came out it was supected that one side would run hot, but GM knows what they are doing. Both sides cool just fine even under race conditions.

Those that want a BBK know you have to have rims that clear. I don't need spacers, though most probably will. I'll add more info about that later on.

Where are you getting your information that this isn't a hardcore race setup? These calipers have proven themselves the world over under race conditions on numerous high performance vehicles. The OEM rotors are pretty much only raced with on vettes, but they have proven themselves to last there as well. Maybe your thinking of the 6 piston Vette calipers as not race ready.
Originally Posted by slow
will any C6 Z06 wheel work with this setup, without running wheel spacers?

Thanks for your hard work on this, makes a great value. (I wonder if they would fit on the GTO, the caliper to rim spoke distance is huge (2" approx w/ stock 18" rims) but I am sure the caliper/hat offset is totally incorrect.

Ryan
Yes to your first question. Any rim that clears the factory 6 piston caliper will also clear this CTS-V one.

That's a good question about the GTO, but I never researched them. It certaintly may work with the proper caliper bracket.
Originally Posted by z28bryan
I heard about the venting direction design flaw of the C6 z06 rotors.. not sure how true it is or not.

I mean if the brakes can handle what kind of racing you are doing, then I would think getting a bigger brake kit probably isn't going to make much of a difference. Bigger brakes can add unsprung weight. You'd probably have to buy some really expensive 19s if you wanted to keep the weight down. Most people will probably put a heavy C6 replica wheel on the car which will probably make you slower.

That being said, I'm pretty sure most people just want the kit for looks anyway. JasonWW is the ls1 bling king around here. While I don't always agree with using his mods for performance reasons, I think most of his stuff revolves around looks anyways which I'm pretty sure is the intent.

I don't trust GM too well with their performance testing and engineering
To say it's a "flaw" may not be accurate. Also keep in mind that the GM rotors are not the only choice. Blanks may be available from someone as well as proper directional vents. I just haven't looked around for them. update - I've added info on rotors from DBA. If any other companies are offering affordable rotors, please let me know.

Keep in mind that I'm off doing other mods now and never got around to buying all these brake parts. Plus I may also be swapping to a different aluminum spindle as well. I'm not a racer, either. I just tend to drive hard on the street. My thing is high speed runs. I wanted these brakes to both fill in the hole created by my big rims as well as for hauling me down from middle triple digit speeds. My goal is 200 mph, but I'm a ways off from that. It's either monster brakes or a parachute.

I'm the bling king? Not even close. If folks are just wanting big rotors then you can use a 13" or maybe 13.5" with 2 piston vette calipers under your 17" rim. With an 18" rim you can run this 14" rotor with the 2 piston vette calipers. Kits are already out there. It's bolt on.
Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Its the rotors I was concerned about...I'm more than sure it's not going to matter on the street, but after a few laps....let us know how it went.

I dont think vents is going to help if it's an issue with the rotors design.

I guess with the right forged wheels, (no spacers) and some better rotors, damn now your talking!!!!!!
Just check vette forums. There have been guys lapping with these rotors (and the stock 6 piston calipers) for several years now and the only complaints I ever heard concerned the 6 piston calipers. The rotors are working fine. If your still worried about the rotors you can go with aftermarket ones.

Cool air vents help a lot. The forward motion of the car way more than overcomes the air flow that naturally happens inside the rotors vanes. This is obvious to me. Just keep in mind all Z06's have forced air cooling. I bet the cooling vents are the reason these rotors work so well on the track.

If your going to run your F-body hard on a race track then there is a natural progression to brake upgrades.
Stock and swap to better pads.
Change to fresh and better brake fluid.
Add cool air vents.
Swap to 13" rotor.
Maybe swap to more aggresive pads.
If that's still not giving you the braking you want, then you probably need to step up to a Big Brake Kit. If you add the setup in this thread then you should already have cooling vents. I'm guessing that due to the affordable nature of this setup that some folks are skipping several steps. Then they think they can go out to a race track and beat the crap out of them. Guess what. If your fluid is old and you don't have cooling vents then your probably going to boil the fluid and get fade or maybe crack your rotors and then your going to point your finger at me or GM. It's not my fault or GM's either.

So if you want a track setup, do your research, change your fluid, add vents, use locktite on your caliper bolts, monitor your pad wear, check your rotor temps, etc... Don't just bolt this setup on and throw caution to the wind.

Why are folks bashing spacers/adapters? There's nothing wrong with using them. They're not even that expensive. Here's a trick to make your tires look more tucked in, add about 1* of negative camber. It moves the top of the tire in which makes it look more "tucked" plus it will improve your front grip.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-20-2009 at 01:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone Interested In 14" Brake Kit?