Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why are 3rd Gen Bilstiens HD's recommended for 4th Gens?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why are 3rd Gen Bilstiens HD's recommended for 4th Gens?

I saw this somewhere, and of course did a seach, and came up with nothing. Anyone have any idea why the 3rd gen Bilstien HD's are recommended for the 4th gen cars? I kind of surprised that it (may) have better valving since the 4th gen rear is wider and must have more unsprung weight to deal with...and would assume the 4th gen specific shocks would be valved accordingly.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you know only the rears are interchangeable. for everyone else, 3rd gens use struts up fron, 4th gens use shocks up front...

As for the rears. The 3rd gens had a bit more weight in the back. I'd guess unsprung weight would really be about the same. They both have a lot: solid axle, torque arm, wheels and tires. The difference between 3rd and 4th gen in unsprung weight would probably be more affected by differing wheels and tires than it would be affected by axle width.

Also, I haven't checked the prices, but I wouldnt be surprised if the 3rd gens are suggested most the time because of a cost savings more than any real difference in valving.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
Also, I haven't checked the prices, but I wouldnt be surprised if the 3rd gens are suggested most the time because of a cost savings more than any real difference in valving.
That senario applies to Koni shocks. The Bilstein rear 3rd gen seems to have better valve selection and works better on the 4th gen then the 4th gen Bilstein counterpart.
I believe this is what Sam Straino recommends also if I recall correctly.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Hang on..... We *sometimes* use 3rd gen shocks on a 4th gen car (and vice-versa), but not always. The shocks are the same size, bolt right in and the two cars weight the same things (they are not different). The shock valving is a bit different, mostly because in the case of Bilstein the 4th gen rears were always a touch soft on rebound damping, and recently made way too soft on rebound and too stiff on compression (can you say DeCarbon? I knew you could....).

On the Koni side, the story is a bit different. One is less costly but harder to adjust. The other costs more, but easier to adjust. Some folks like to save $100 or so on a set. Both work very well, they are just different in detail.

So PLEASE don't think that this is a one size fits all thing and I only do this, never anything else, etc.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Why are 3rd Gen Bilstiens HD's recommended for 4th Gens?