Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Calling Sam the Man & all Koni owners.(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Any real help I can give would have to come via a phone call. I can tell you this: I highly doubt you'll find anyone with Koni's who regrets making that move. I run them on my car--if that matters.

Shocks are the lynch-pin to a good suspension on this car (any car, we just have particularly poor stock ones).

I'd be happy to give you some pricing, but we'd need to discuss which Koni's first. They start @ about $740 for a set. Revalves are $530/set.
First, I would like to thank all of the LS1Tech members for their info on the Koni's. I really want the best for the Camaro, so I guess its going to be the Koni's for the win. Now I need to think about which combo to go with? 4/3 or the 4/4 set?

Sam, please let me know when is the best time to call the shop, so we may go over the price & the combo setup? Thanks Sam!

By the way, anyone thinking of doing the SS clone, go for it. I love my car and the LS1 under the hood also helps to back up the SS badge!

If anyone is out at the Super Chevy Show on Sunday and you see a Teal SS looking for parking, say hello. It most likely will my 10 footer you see. Sam
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind the LT1's are not 3rd gens. They and the LS1 are both 4th gens. The 3rd gens are from 82-92. They may look really different, but the back half sheetmetal is very similar and most of the parts like shocks, springs, sway bar, PHR, etc... are interchangable.
The 3rd gen shocks are adjusted by unbolting the lower shock mount and turning the shock. The 4th gens have an adjustment at the top and you simply fold down the rear seat to turn the adjuster. So the 3rd gens are cheaper, but less conveinent to adjust, and the 4ths are very conveinent to adjust, but cost more.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-24-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Keep in mind the LT1's re not 3rd gens. They and the LS1 are both 4th gens. The 3rd gens are from 82-92. They may look really different, but the back half sheetmetal is very similar and most of the parts like shocks, springs, sway bar, PHR, etc... are interchangable.
The 3rd gen shocks are adjusted by unbolting the lower shock mount and turning the shock. The 4th gens have an adjustment at the top and you simply fold down the rear seat to turn the adjuster. So the 3rd gens are cheaper, but less conveinent to adjust, and the 4ths are very convienent to adjust, but cost more.
Thanks for the great info Jason! The 4/4 combo sound like the way to go.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

No prob. Here are some pics to help you understand the adjustment on the 4th gen styles.

Front

Rear - You open the little access flaps behind the rear seat.

With the rear flaps closed.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

No prob. Here are some pics to help you understand the adjustment on the 4th gen styles.

Front

Rear - You open the little access flaps behind the rear seat.

With the rear flaps closed.
Your the Man Jason! Those pictures are going to be helpful for all new Koni owners. Thanks Jason and everyone that threw in their 2 cents.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:38 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This is going to me my next modification. I've been driving around my car on BMR lowering springs and stock shocks for waaaaay too long and it's time to correct the situation. I'm going to go with the KONI 4/3 setup as it's just as easy to adjust the rear shocks by unbolting them as it is to pull up the carpeting in the rear seats.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait, so do you have to cut that piece out to adjust the rear shocks? or is it already pre-cut, and you have to cut through the carpet?

confused b/c i've only heard this, never seen it; any further out photos?
Old 03-25-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

You don't have to pull up any carpeting. There are flaps over the shock precut into the carpet. It's what you would call perforated. You can open it with your finger, but a razor blade will make things look nicer.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have revalves and Konis. I do like the 4/4 Konis more, but there what about 40% higher. I would get them if you can afford it and want the best.

If you have a stock car and dont' plan on using any thing other than stock springs, you can do the HD's.

It all depends on what you want to do.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to pull up any carpeting. There are flaps over the shock precut into the carpet. It's what you would call perforated. You can open it with your finger, but a razor blade will make things look nicer.

i never even noticed? hmm, i'll check it out today
Old 03-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Teching In

I would like to send out thanks the JasonVW also I installed my koni's today and knowing that there is a pre cut flap over the rears saved me a good bit of time. As for the koni's I left mine at full soft and took it out on some of the back roads where I live and the difference was night and day. I can come around curves now and the body roll is minimal, hell the Trans Am seats I have in my Formula have a hard time holding me in now. I can't wait to bump the stiffness up on the shocks tommorow and have a little more fun.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

I spoke with Sam Strano today and all I can say is that he knows his stuff. He called me the very next day after I left him a message and I'm going to go with the Koni's SA 4/4. I can't wait to slap them on the car!!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
Hello LS1 members,
I own a 1998 Z28/SS package with 120,000 miles and the suspension is fully stock. I have read some threads about Koni SA shocks and was wondering if they are worth the money? I'm planning to lower my car too. I have a set of DMS springs that have been in my closet for over a year. Money has been tight lately, but I want the best for my car. Any info on how your car drove after installing the Koni's would really help. Mr. Strano if you are reading this, any expert advice would help. How much would a set of Koni's set me back shipped to 91406 in California? Here are a few pictures of my 10 footer. I call it that because it looks good from 10 feet away and it rides like a old pickup truck.
Got another convinced Koni owner here, just got mine on a few days ago and the difference really is night and day. Right now I have mine set on 2 turns from full hard on the front, and 1 turn from full soft in rear and it rides better than stock, although noticeably more firm, it isnt as jarring or choppy as stock. The car really feels more stable, and glued to the road. Before, going around turns the rear end felt like it was just dragging along back there, and if I stepped on the throttle it would snap oversteer like crazy. Now, the rear turns with the car, and if I jump on it, it bites right down and sticks, I was amazed.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
i never even noticed? hmm, i'll check it out today
Dude you can check my car, I got that as well...

Another Koni fanatic here!!!

THE best shocks I have ever bought, actually my car is the 2nd best handling car I have ever driven in, next to my friend's '04 TT Esprit.

I get excited just thinking that I get to drive my car in the morning!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by moonshine_mike
I would like to send out thanks the JasonVW
I just noticed you called me a volkswagon.

just joking
Old 04-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

I highly recommend Konis too. They transform the handling of the car. Save up for them, they are well worth it. One of the best mods you can do to the car. Konis and Strano sway bars change this car completely! No more getting your doors blown off in the corners by vettes! Konis are NOT too harsh. The S/A are rebound adjustable, doesn't do too much to the ride, but good for fine tuning on the street and track, for "set" control.