Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Want to convert my power steering lines over to -AN

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Want to convert my power steering lines over to -AN

I'm looking to convert my stock lines over to AN fittings. I know the reservoir side of the return line is just a hose slipped over and clamped, but I need the size of the other 3 fittings. I think I've heard both M16x1.5 and M18x1.5, and I know one of the fittings on the rack is bigger than the other from when I took it apart last.

Does anyone know the fitting sizes off hand? If not, does anyone know what I can measure to figure it out? I've been searching and searching and can't figure it out. Maybe I've been searching the wrong keywords, but either way, I need to figure out which fittings to order from Summit. I'm going to run 6AN line I think.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PS pump is the same ole saginaw pump GM has been using for years. So it's commonly used in a LOT of applications.

I snagged the adaptors for my race car from a local dirt track shop.

Be aware, though. The HP side of the stock pump spikes a heckuva lot of pressure. Homemade AN hoses just barely fit within the spec. Be forwarned ... there does exist the possibility of you pushing off a hose.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm good to know. I believe both of my lines are leaking, and I believe I can only buy a replacement pressure hose at the parts stores. I suppose I could just buy that line and make my own return line, but I wanted to clean up how the lines look a bit as I'm cleaning up the engine bay, and I also find those O-ring fittings somewhat of a pain to put back together sometimes.

Also had debated buying a PS cooler with 6AN fittings, which would've also been a big plus to the AN setup.

Thanks for the advice Mitch!