Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering a 2000 ss camaro conv.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007 | 01:01 PM

Unhappy Lowering a 2000 ss camaro conv.

why are most lowering springs excluding this vehicle.
Old 04-19-2007 | 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bell407
why are most lowering springs excluding this vehicle.
Do you mean convertibles?
I would guess because the rear end weighs a bit more than the other versions. Any of the springs should actually fit, though.
Old 04-19-2007 | 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know the vert weighs more, but it can't be that much. the thing with springs on a vert is that the back end looks/feels disproportionately lower. it's almost like there's a body difference which affects the spring placement.

with the pro-kit at least, the spring rates for the rear are too low compared to the stock ss springs (i think it's like 80-137lb/in for the prokit compared to 130-170lb/in for the stock ss/ws6 springs). i ended up having to remove the bumpstop spacers to avoid the uncomfortable springrate transition from soft eibachs to stiff bumpstops. i've got a set of ss rear springs that i'm going to throw back in the rear. as far as the rear height goes at that point, some do the rear isolator mod.

my sig picture is with bilstein shocks and eibach pro-kit. after the front settled, it doesn't look as dramatic.
Old 04-19-2007 | 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

The stock rear springs should be 115lbs. The SS/WS6 didn't get special springs. Now maybe the verts did, but I haven't heard anything about that.

Whatever rear spring you use you can always use a poly or aluminum spacer in between the coils to increase the spring rate and ride height. This should work very well with a vert.
Old 04-20-2007 | 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

SS/WS6 didn't get special springs? i thought they had stiffer springs and "unique shock valving."

from GM's own site:
SS Performance Package

Includes 320-hp forced air induction system,
unique hood air
intake, low restriction exhaust
system, power steering cooler,
synthetic engine oil, P275/40ZR17
Goodyear Eagle F1 performance
tires, 17" 5-spoke
cast-aluminum wheels,
specially-tuned performance
suspension with larger front
stabilizer bar, stiffer springs,
unique shock valving and stiffer
bushings, specific exterior and
interior "SS" badging and unique
rear decklid spoiler
http://media.gm.com/ca/gm/en/product...000Camaro.html

regardless... in stock convertible form with similar miles (give or take less than 1k difference) my 2001 v6 camaro handled like a complete boat compared to my 99 ss. the difference could have been attributed to a few things (the sway bars, bushings, steering wheel ratio, or just the stiffer springs that come with anything other than the base v6) but even after i threw in a 35mm front bar in my 2001 v6 the handling still couldn't compare to my ss. moreso due to the handling than the motor (!!!), my ss felt like a totally different car. thing is, i haven't driven any stock z28 cars, so i can't say my ss felt like it had more than upgraded swaybar and bushings.
unless anyone has more info, maybe we have to take GM's word for it.
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nope, same springs and shocks. The optional 1LE or SLP level 1 or 2 were different. You can ask Sam Strano about it if you want, but unless you can figure out the rate, I'd say they are the regular parts.

I've driven a lot of stock WS6 and regular Trans Ams and they all felt the same to me. You can tell a big difference with stock springs and Bilstien shocks, though.

But like I said, a spacer in the rear spring will add to the rate and height which should be perfect for a vert. The extra weight at the rear means a stiffer spring will still ride smooth.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I believe that GM used 1LE springs on SS/WS6 cars during certain years. I've discussed this with Sam and he knows the years (I didn't keep track since I wasn't looking for any of those parts). Other years I believe they were stock Z28 springs. So, I think "it depends" is the correct answer.
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

They didn't use them on the LS1 years I'm pretty sure. So a 99 or 2000 should have the regular springs. This really shouldn't matter. You can order whatever springs you want and if the back sags, just add a spacer and it will fix it. As to why the vendors don't offer a spring specifically for the 2000 SS vert, I don't know. It's one thing if they don't mention it specifically and another if they say that their springs are "not for the 2000 SS vert".
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:56 AM
On The Tree

I have a 2000 SS vert. Being a heavier car, I always had an impression that my car got stiffer rated springs because it sat taller than a regular z28. If memory serves correctly, it's the 01-02 that got regular springs but 98-00 got 1LE springs.

And since SS/Firehawk and WS6 were modified by different companies, may be they put different parts in there. Someone needs to look up the part numbers because I'm very curious. Unfortunately I don't have those springs with me any more.
Old 04-20-2007 | 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's what I could find in the 1LE for these years.

The 1LE option was discontinued in 1999. GM's reason was the cost of keeping an inventory of parts for such a low production vehicle was not profitable. SLP brought back the 1LE option in 2001 on Camaro SS and Firebird Firehawks ordered with RPO Y2Y options.

From here:
http://ve3eie.ncf.ca/1le_history.html
Old 04-20-2007 | 09:00 PM

I thank everyone for your responce to my question. I guess I should have said when I looked on line for lowering springs most distributors excluded the conv. but gave no answer as to why and were none committed by telephone conversation to my questions that I heard-" like quarter panel flexing and rear end sagging". so now I don't who to get my springs from. SLP was the only one that mentioned rear end sagging from one customer.some distributors have springs for the conv. but don't mention anything about the above.
Old 04-20-2007 | 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Again, it shouldn't matter as it is an easy problem to correct. Just choose springs as if you had a t-top car.
Old 04-20-2007 | 10:51 PM
On The Tree

I have the Eibach Pro-kit which are designed for a t-top car. The rear sags like you already know. I use spacers between the coils to make the rear sits higher just like what Jason said. However, I don't like the feel of the car when using this method. May be that's because the HD Bilstein that I have are not the best match for the springs. However, I don't have money for the Koni's so I just have to live with it for now.
Old 04-21-2007 | 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

The thing about the Prokits is they don't make a specific rear spring for it. They use the same rear spring they do on the Sportline kit so it ends up a bit too low and soft. The spacers shouldn't make a huge difference in rate or height, just a small change. Maybe about 10-15lb stiffer and not ore than 1/2" in height. It also depends on where you put the spacers. Between the short coils is better.
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

the information i posted above was directly from GM ( http://media.gm.com/ca/gm/en/product...000Camaro.html ).
we could argue that GM is lying or simply mistaken - hell, they have been known to bend numbers and had to justify the extra cost of the SS/WS6, right?

if my ss had regular old z28 shocks/springs, then i feel much better about losing them. i wish we could get a more concrete answer to the question, but it seems that the issue comes up from time to time around here.

if you think the ss/ws6 come with z28 shocks/springs, maybe somebody better let jrp know that he needs to edit his 5th post on the newbie tech section ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html ).
as per the newbie tech post:
Originally Posted by jrp
SS Performance Package - includes 325-hp 5.7L LS1 V8 with forced air induction system, unique hood air intake, low restriction exhaust system, synthetic engine oil, P275/40ZR17 Goodyear Eagle F1 performance tires (maximum speed rating), 17" x 9" 5-spoke aluminum wheels, specially-tuned performance suspension with larger front stabilizer bar, stiffer springs, unique shock valving and stiffer bushings, specific exterior and interior "SS" badging and unique rear deck-lid spoiler

Ram Air Performance and Handling Package - includes specific low restriction dual exhaust system, Ram Air induction system, functional hood scoops, 325 hp, 5.7L LS1 V8, P275/40ZR17 performance tires (maximum speed rating), 17" high-polished aluminum wheels, specific front and rear suspension with higher front and rear spring rates, unique shock valving, stiffer Panhard bushings and 3.23:1 rear axle ratio with automatic transmission; includes 3.42:1 rear axle with 6-speed manual transmission

The 1998-1999 and some 2000 WS6's got 1LE springs and other minor 1le parts, different decarbon shocks, ect. Nothing major, but it was more than the simple swaybar upgrades of the mid 2000-2002 cars got.

1998's also did not get the dual exhaust, instead they got a 3.5" stainless 1 out the left

**** Just because an ls1 is equiped with the optional "performance" packages does not make them faster ****
still convinced that the ss/ws6 have z28 springs? i am not.
Old 04-22-2007 | 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why are we talking about the stock spring rates? I'm trying to stay on topic here.

If you want a definitive answer, send me a rear spring and I'll measure it's rate. Or you could go to a junkyard and get a regular V8 rear spring and swap it into your car. If it's free length is the same but the spring makes the car sit higher, then it's rate is higher.

As far as the newbie tech section goes, unless it gives specific data on the different rates I'll take it with a grain of salt. GM could easily say that the SS springs are stiffer and be telling the truth, but that difference may only be 1%. Unless we know the actual rates the newbie guide is useless as far as the springs are concerned.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-22-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2007 | 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey, I ran across some info regarding SLP 2000-2002 camaro SS and Firehawk front springs. If they are progressive then they are 233lbs/448lbs. If your springs do not look progressive, then they are probably the regular ones.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering a 2000 ss camaro conv.-slp-progressive-rate-front-springs-2000-2002-camaro-ss-firehawk-233-448lbs-b.gif