Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Safe to weld in SFC's while the motor is out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Safe to weld in SFC's while the motor is out?

Like the title says... The motor is out of my car right now and I just finished installing the Strange S60, UMI T/A, LCA's, PHR, and Spohn Pro-Series Sway bar. I want to install the weld-in UMI Subframe Connectors but I'm wondering if it is safe to do while the motor is out of the car? I know the weight and geometry may be different when the motor goes back in so is it safe to do now or should I wait until the motor is back in the car?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They generally recommend the suspension is loaded when you do it and you can't fully load the suspension without the engine. I don't think it would hurt anything but i would just wait.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

I would wait till you have everything where you want it.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replys but I did it anyway. I just set about 500lbs worth of friends in the engine bay while the SFC's were welded on. Car sits nice and level. so I guess it's ok!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

I did mine with the motor, sub frame and trans out. sitting on jack stands. I think that is the best time to do it sence everything is un loaded.

And also I used to be a GM cert. mechanic and attended the F body class when they first came out. The body by itself is its structural member all alone. Meaning it needs nothing else to gain structural integrity. Unike a full frame car needs the body and chasis bolted together to be rigid. There are even cars that the windshield is considered a structural member!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS14PSI
Thanks for the replys but I did it anyway. I just set about 500lbs worth of friends in the engine bay while the SFC's were welded on. Car sits nice and level. so I guess it's ok!
Gotta love it. I hope they work out, that is by far the best story I heard on SFCs.