Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just got my car aligned but it's still off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

caster is basically how the wheel feels when returning to center. More caster will give you more resistance to turn left or right off of center and will have more of a centering force. Basically heavier steering feel. Less caster will give you less of a heavy steering feel. It all depends on what you prefer. I prefer a heavy steering feel so I have a higher caster value. The higher the caster the more work your power steering pump has to do as well. I have my alignment set with as much (-) camber as possible w/o it effecting my caster. Seeing I am a bit lower than stock, they were able to get me -1° camber and still over 5° of caster. This is what the alignment guy recommended as he has set up numerous cars for track and autocrossing.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
The theory is sound, but I always insist that they make both sides even anyway. The difference may be good for roads with big crowns, but its not good for flat roads or autox. Sometimes I notice a slight pull, but road unevenness is a greater pull... if you understand what I'm saying.

You aren't having any luck with shops actually aligning the car the way you want.
Oh man I know it's terrible these days. If a customer at my job wanted something done specifically and I told them that I am going to do it MY WAY because MY WAY is better, HA well I would be out of a job really quick lol.

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9
caster is basically how the wheel feels when returning to center. More caster will give you more resistance to turn left or right off of center and will have more of a centering force. Basically heavier steering feel. Less caster will give you less of a heavy steering feel. It all depends on what you prefer. I prefer a heavy steering feel so I have a higher caster value. The higher the caster the more work your power steering pump has to do as well. I have my alignment set with as much (-) camber as possible w/o it effecting my caster. Seeing I am a bit lower than stock, they were able to get me -1° camber and still over 5° of caster. This is what the alignment guy recommended as he has set up numerous cars for track and autocrossing.
Well after reading this I think I am definately going to take it back because if it causes a more heavy steering feel then that is something that I definitely do not need any more of seeing as how there is a manual rack in the car

Quick Reply: Just got my car aligned but it's still off?