Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need a little help with these 2 set of coil springs i have???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Question Need a little help with these 2 set of coil springs i have???

My SS came with the Bilstein suspension package and while i was lowering it with a set of QA1's last night and another set of rear springs, i noticed something strange.

The stock Bilstein suspension package that was on my car came with a rear springs that said SLP 06/97 and SLP R 97/136 on both rear springs.

I got a set of QA1 coilovers and rear shocks and it came with a pair of rear springs. I was told those springs were the Bilstein suspension package rear springs which should be the same as the ones originally on my SS. however, these springs say something different.

They said Eibach 37/99 on one coil and Eibach 44/99 on the other (both same height, rear springs). Below that, it says SLP 3831RRA (i think, the letters were kinda scratched) on both springs.

They both appear to be the same in height but the ones that say Eibach/SLP on them have 1 extra coil wounded into the spring although it is the same height was the SLP/SLP springs off my SS.

My question is, what is the difference between these 2 pairs of rear coils? Which one would be better suited for handling and which one would be better suited for Drag racing? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

does anybody have a clue? Thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

please help
Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If all things are equal (wire thickness, spring diameter, etc) adding a coil will make the spring softer. So, the stiffer spring will be the one with less coils (assuming it's the same diameter and same wire diameter). Even a stiff stock (factory installed) spring usually isn't "that" stiff. I'm not sure which springs are which, but it sounds like you got a set of the SLP/Eibach rears that come in the SLP/Eibach spring kit. If so, at least we know something about that one and I'd use it. However, I think you're going to hate those shocks with a "handling" spring. We'll see.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah that sounds like it may be be the case. i always thought the SLP eibachs were the same as the SLP springs that came on SS's and WS6's with the slp bilstein suspension package?

both springs appear to be the same height but the set that says SLP EIBACH has one more coil wounded into the spring.

i have my front qa1's set at 6 and the ride is pretty firm and handles alright. i still need to put my rear ones in but i am sure the bilsteins are better than the crappy orange ones that come stock on camaros.

Quick Reply: Need a little help with these 2 set of coil springs i have???