Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007 | 10:26 PM
Teching In

Default Strut Bar

I really don't know much about these, i do know that it is supposed to reduce chassis flex. Does it honestly matter which one i buy since they all serve the same purpose or do you guys have an opinion on it?
Old 05-14-2007 | 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

this is something that has been discussed pretty extensively, and the general consensus is that it's not really absolutely necessary. some will say it helped a lot, some will say it's placebo.....i guess it all depends on the age/condition of your ride.

however, with the exception of possibly obstructing part of the engine, making it harder to remove/replace the intake manifold, spark plugs, valve covers, etc., along with a few pounds of added weight, it definitely will not hurt anything.

if you want to get one, just get the one you can get the best price on (don't bother with the 3-point version, the 2-pointer should be fine). if you want to make it easy to remove for servicing the engine, you could get one like Hotchkis sells (see the bottom of This page for pics). the two brackets on each side are seperate from the actual bar, so to access engine components, you only need to remove the two bolts holding it on, and you have an open engine compartment again.

oh, and btw, the correct name for this part is "shock tower brace"