Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: What Springs Should i buy????
SLP 1" drop
12.50%
Wait for Strano's 1.2" drop
63.46%
Mac Progressive about 1"
0%
GMS Progressive 1.25"
10.58%
BMR Progressive 1"
13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Buying new springs asap. HATE MY EIBACHS **POLL**

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I'm pretty sure your problem is with your shocks.

I have never run a shock mismatched for a set of springs, because I avoided to try that route altogether. But that's exactly what Sam Strano says you will experience when you put the wrong shocks with a certain set of springs. Hd's are a "decent" shock for stock replacements with stock springs, but I've heard aren't up to par to take care of aftermarket springs.

I'm guessing you will experience the same problem with Strano springs if you kept the HD's. What you need is revalved bilsteins or Koni's. Not the answer you want to hear, but they seem to be the cheapest route to solving your problem
On the street, HDs are just fine. I heard all the hype too, and while I don't dispute Sam's claim that HDs are not valved perfectly for aftermarket springs, in practice, they work just fine. For those of us who have other things that they should be spending their money on and can't be spending it on $500+ shocks, the HDs handle very well. I now have HDs and Hotchkis progressives on my car and I can't say enough about how great it handles. The ride has improved ten fold and more importantly, I can take turns hard without having to worry about if a tiny little pebble is going to throw me into the other lane. No doubt revalves or Koni's would be better, but HD's are just fine. In my opinion, HDs should be the minimum shock used for aftermarket springs.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
On the street, HDs are just fine. I heard all the hype too, and while I don't dispute Sam's claim that HDs are not valved perfectly for aftermarket springs, in practice, they work just fine. For those of us who have other things that they should be spending their money on and can't be spending it on $500+ shocks, the HDs handle very well. I now have HDs and Hotchkis progressives on my car and I can't say enough about how great it handles. The ride has improved ten fold and more importantly, I can take turns hard without having to worry about if a tiny little pebble is going to throw me into the other lane. No doubt revalves or Koni's would be better, but HD's are just fine. In my opinion, HDs should be the minimum shock used for aftermarket springs.
That's cool if you are satisfied wtih them. My guess would be shocks are the reason why he doesn't like his ride. I also think that if he just changed to a different spring and kept his HD shocks, he wouldn't solve his problem
Old 05-26-2007, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

i can push down on the bumper of my car with about half my body weight, ( i weigh 190 ) and i can push my bumpstops right into my axel housing.

this has nothing to do with the shock, its a slow push down, not even a jerky one.

eibach pro kits are notorious for the rear springs basically collapsing. which is exactly what is going on here, i cant move my front 1" my rear i can push down 2" easily.

and going to the HD shock helped my problem a ton over stock, but didnt get rid of it. i dont care enough to run koni's i race my car 3 times a year at auto-x and 3 times at the drag strip.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would wait for the strano's or get hotchkis thats what I have and I like them a lot.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

I just meant they look like a good possibility for me. Granatelli knows suspension, so I would think his springs would be right on.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Restricted User

That's cool if you are satisfied wtih them. My guess would be shocks are the reason why he doesn't like his ride. I also think that if he just changed to a different spring and kept his HD shocks, he wouldn't solve his problem
There's no way that the HDs could be so bad that they'd cause a problem like that. I can't see even with 100k on them that they'd be that bad. This is a spring problem. You have to understand that the guys who complain about HDs are racers. I'd never recommend HDs (or even my hotchkis springs) for the track. Linear springs and custom valved shocks would be the way to go. But for those of us who don't race, we'd rather put money into something that will yield much more benefit.

Originally Posted by shocker45
i can push down on the bumper of my car with about half my body weight, ( i weigh 190 ) and i can push my bumpstops right into my axel housing.

this has nothing to do with the shock, its a slow push down, not even a jerky one.

eibach pro kits are notorious for the rear springs basically collapsing. which is exactly what is going on here, i cant move my front 1" my rear i can push down 2" easily.

and going to the HD shock helped my problem a ton over stock, but didnt get rid of it. i dont care enough to run koni's i race my car 3 times a year at auto-x and 3 times at the drag strip.
Either keep your HDs and get new springs, or if you have the money, and don't mind waiting a few months (for the Bilsteins to be available again) call up sam and get some revalves.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

i think im going to keep my HD's and get Sams Springs, they seem to be highly recommended.

but people just keep in mine, i dont race lol. just auto x few times and drag strip a few. i might do some hotlaps on a road course this summer, but even then im talking like 5 laps.

in my mind Koni's and the hassle of buying new shocks is not worth it at all. im happy with my hd's especially for my horrible *** streets they have proven to be a very good shock imo.

how are sams springs on rough roads our roads in manitoba are seriously horrible, there is reason you never see ferrari's and lambo's here lol
Old 05-26-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I currently have the Eibach prokit on my car with the Strano revalved Bilsteins and the handling is good but the ride quality is terrible. The car sits lower in the rear than the front. I am going to try the Strano Springs first to raise it up slightly and possibly switch to the Koni SA shocks.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure your problem is with your shocks.

I have never run a shock mismatched for a set of springs, because I avoided to try that route altogether. But that's exactly what Sam Strano says you will experience when you put the wrong shocks with a certain set of springs. Hd's are a "decent" shock for stock replacements with stock springs, but I've heard aren't up to par to take care of aftermarket springs.

I'm guessing you will experience the same problem with Strano springs if you kept the HD's. What you need is revalved bilsteins or Koni's. Not the answer you want to hear, but they seem to be the cheapest route to solving your problem
Well that would work if he wants a handling vehicle, but for faster 1/4 mile times the above shock recommendations(I have the Koni's, they kick ***!) are not the ideal setup...

You could pay the $$$ to buy the Koni Single Adjustable shocks and keep your existing springs and you will have a completely different car...if you're wililng to pay the price.

Or better yet what everyone else is saying, Strano springs with the Koni SA's.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

To the thread poster... how do you like autoxing on the head/cam setup? I went from a 4 cyl street tire car to my Camaro on 400 rwhp and nitto r2s and I almost soiled myself on my first run. It's a freakin blast, though I hate the money I spend on it.

I also believe that a street setup/road race setup/autox setup go hand in hand and that its a misconception that a street handling setup is completely different than a road racing setup.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

the way i kind of built my car was to get my fingers wet in a bit of everything.

for auto -x we always have 75 people racing every week ( 75 is max ) and over 40 of them run on r compound tires.

i usually place around 25th-30th which i think is awesome for a 3700 lb car on street tires lol.

the top 10 is like s2000's miatas a z06, an 05 mustang and a nissan sentra that is done up like crazy.

i know my set up isnt great for drag. would those koni's make that much of a different for drag racing? with a strano spring setup?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

i also hate my eibach's i think i'm leaning towards ground control with the koni SA's, but we'll see
Old 05-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Restricted User

I also believe that a street setup/road race setup/autox setup go hand in hand and that its a misconception that a street handling setup is completely different than a road racing setup.
There is one major difference: If you only race your car, ride quality doesn't matter. Therefore you can be much more aggressive with your setup than if you want to drive the car on the street, where at least some semblance of a quality ride is a necessity.

So in conclusion, I would agree with you that a street handling setup is not COMPLETELY different than a racing setup, however I would disagree with you if you said that they are very similiar, since there are many things that you have to worry about in a street suspension that you do not have to even consider on a track suspension, and vice versa.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I voted Strano Springs....but must admit I'm still waiting 4 mine
But they gotta b here soon, and I'm pretty sure this is a big batch coming, and not sold out.
I'm suprised sam hasn't posted here yet....I hope he does and says:
Your spings are shipping now!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Sorry, not yet......
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-29-2007, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
There is one major difference: If you only race your car, ride quality doesn't matter. Therefore you can be much more aggressive with your setup than if you want to drive the car on the street, where at least some semblance of a quality ride is a necessity.

So in conclusion, I would agree with you that a street handling setup is not COMPLETELY different than a racing setup, however I would disagree with you if you said that they are very similiar, since there are many things that you have to worry about in a street suspension that you do not have to even consider on a track suspension, and vice versa.
Sorry, that's incorrect. Race cars too have to have an amount of ride compliance for the greatest grip. If the tires become the only suspension the car skates all over. My car is very, VERY streetable. Actually most anything can be tolerated for short times, I've driven my car on 1500 mile one-way trips. It's not at all a beating.

Some things change when the parameters change. But are basically in both cases we are looking for grip and balance. So while I agree that you don't do identical setups, you do very similar ones in which the smaller details change. Alignments, rod-ends vs. bushings, tires, etc. The car doesn't know what the 70 mph corner is--on a track, an off-ramp, an autox course. The car weighs what it weighs...
Old 05-29-2007, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

well sam im waiting for your springs, so as soon as you get some in i will be placing an order. im getting a panhard bar for now.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If it makes you feel any better (and it probably doesn't), I'm waiting along with y'all.... Most impatiently too.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
They're 35% lighter, not 35lbs lighter. Equals out to somewhere around 10-15lbs...which is still pretty cool though!
haha your right, my bad.
Still a good deal lighter though!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

i voted strano.. cant wait to get mine they should be here soon

Quick Reply: Buying new springs asap. HATE MY EIBACHS **POLL**