Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: What Springs Should i buy????
SLP 1" drop
12.50%
Wait for Strano's 1.2" drop
63.46%
Mac Progressive about 1"
0%
GMS Progressive 1.25"
10.58%
BMR Progressive 1"
13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Buying new springs asap. HATE MY EIBACHS **POLL**

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Sorry, that's incorrect. Race cars too have to have an amount of ride compliance for the greatest grip. If the tires become the only suspension the car skates all over. My car is very, VERY streetable. Actually most anything can be tolerated for short times, I've driven my car on 1500 mile one-way trips. It's not at all a beating.

Some things change when the parameters change. But are basically in both cases we are looking for grip and balance. So while I agree that you don't do identical setups, you do very similar ones in which the smaller details change. Alignments, rod-ends vs. bushings, tires, etc. The car doesn't know what the 70 mph corner is--on a track, an off-ramp, an autox course. The car weighs what it weighs...
What I was getting at is that in setting up a suspension for the street you say "I want as much grip as I can get without the ride being too harsh" therefore ride quality is a notable concern. Setting up for the track you simply say "I want maximum grip", so regardless of if it takes a quality ride or not, nobody is going to be evaluating how the car rides on the street, they'll be concerned about how much lap times have improved.

Basically we're saying the same thing...you just have a much more concise way of putting it, probably because you've said the same thing 50 times already to different people asking the same question.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

You keep missing on little detail. No two people are exactly alike. And once "critical" damping is taken care of, you get a lot of feel and response and ride change from messing with the level of damping. When I do Revalves, I do my best to adapt the level of damping to the use..... However that's a bit like you telling me you like spicy food and to use whatever amount of hot-sauce I think I should. Hard to do.

Clearly folks don't dislike their Revalves. And they exist to fill the performance and pricing gaps that exist between HD's and Koni's. But that's all. Never proclaimed them to be the ultimate, or a replacement for Koni's.

The bottom line is this simple--If you can play around with the damping yourself, you know you can make changes as you see fit. Be that for better ride, crisper handling. Spring changes, tire changes, bar changes and so on.

And impact harshness, or "ride quality" should also be looked at on the track as well. Again you are assuming that way the car rides bumps doesn't effect the tire's ability to stick, and it does regardless of where the car is being driven. Unless of course, it's on a piece of glass that has no imperfections. But then that's ignoring the fact that different levels of damping also dictate roll rates too.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Restricted User

You keep missing on little detail. No two people are exactly alike. And once "critical" damping is taken care of, you get a lot of feel and response and ride change from messing with the level of damping. When I do Revalves, I do my best to adapt the level of damping to the use..... However that's a bit like you telling me you like spicy food and to use whatever amount of hot-sauce I think I should. Hard to do.
Absolutely. However if you ask me, I think you would do a better job of telling me what's right for me than I would.

The bottom line is this simple--If you can play around with the damping yourself, you know you can make changes as you see fit. Be that for better ride, crisper handling. Spring changes, tire changes, bar changes and so on.
I guess i'll have to give it a try sometime, because that's the way I am. However my concern is that I will not have the experience necessary to properly set up my car "the way I want it" cause I really don't know how I want it. I mean I know I want it to handle as good as it possibly can without kicking my *** on long rides. But without taking a long ride, adjusting, then another long ride, adjusting again, I don't know how i'm going to figure out what's "just right for me". This is why, for now, I just got HDs. I have other things I need to worry about on my car and can't put the time and money needed into an adjustable setup.

Again you are assuming that way the car rides bumps doesn't effect the tire's ability to stick, and it does regardless of where the car is being driven.
No no no...that's not what i'm saying. I'm saying that in a street setup, ride quality is of primary concern. On a track, it's secondary to what makes the car corner well. If a little softness is what's needed, that's what it gets. If the track surface sucks, and alot of softness is necessary to maintain control, then that's what it gets. But you don't ever have a driver come back saying "please soften this up because my *** hurts". They might say "soften it up a bit, it's launching over bumps"...but that's not a ride quality concern, that's a handling issue.

You don't have to waste your time explaining to me, because I understand what you are saying. I just don't know how to properly state my point.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

VOTE Strano! After looking at endless threads I went with Sam's custom spring & sway bar package with Koni SA shocks. I'm looking forward to getting my springs so I can proceed with the install.
Right now my friggin car hops several inches sideways over an expansion joint on a slight curve at 80 mph. (40K miles on stock Z28 suspension with new 275-40 KDWs) I'm hoping that the new set-up will make curves as fun as the 1/4 mile is now.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had problems with rear tire rub and it quite after I put my Spohn Street/track rear rol bar.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Stranos springs here:

Old 06-09-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Before I knew anything about suspension setups and I was playing my Gran Turismo 1 for the playstation I made an assumption that all I have to do is toss the stiffest suspension on the car to make it into a racecar. The stiffer the car, the better it will handle. I think this is probably what a lot of people assume at first and it takes them some convincing to pull them away from that thought process. Suspensions must be tuned to the type of race, track, conditions, etc and not just have as many parts tossed onto them.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry for going off topic but...

I posted to this thread 11 days ago and no one posted since, but the thread was 2nd to the top of the suspension forum.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They are voting in the poll, which moves it up.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

This forum needs the drunken smiley. That's the best I could find.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

im glad i waited, i got my strano springs in.

i went over train tracks and barely slowed down, didnt even come close to bottoming out, if i did that with my eibachs i would have ripped my torque arm off.

considering the eibach is a 1.5" drop and strano's are 1.2" my car picked up 1.5" in the back end, so i would say there was something wrong with the eibachs, dont you think?

anyway im happier than a pig in ****, thanks alot guys.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Wow, so you had literally NO suspension travel with the previous springs. Bet that was a teeth rattling, skittery unstable ride.

I'm glad to hear you like the springs, and I appreciate you taking the time to update the thread.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2007, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

one other thing that really surpised me, they are incredibly light,

how much of a drop am i going to see once they sit down a bit?

and yea, my eibachs had no travel left in them, i had to stop on basically every bump. it was terrible. thanks again.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The springs really shouldn't settle much, only cheap material or bad runs of springs have a lot of settling. The lightweight is the biggest reason I went with Vogtland to make my springs (my specs, theirs are different, they only share the material), as they are about 35% lighter than springs from Eibach, Hotchkis, GM--most everyone else.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am having a horrible time with some new Eibachs too. But mine are Sportlines. They bounce all over with brand new KYBs. I had no idea the Pro Kit had problems too. Do they do this immediately after the install or do they get this way over time? If they get this way over time, how much time?

I was considering the Prokit to replace the Sportlines because advertised drop is only 1.2" whereas the Sportlines are 1.4 and 1.7. Now I am second guessing. I just dont want to be driving on stilts with origional springs. I just spent a ton of money on other stuff, so I only have about $200 to spend and I need them fast. These Sportlines are brutal.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mnypitZ
I am having a horrible time with some new Eibachs too. But mine are Sportlines. They bounce all over with brand new KYBs. I had no idea the Pro Kit had problems too. Do they do this immediately after the install or do they get this way over time? If they get this way over time, how much time?

I was considering the Prokit to replace the Sportlines because advertised drop is only 1.2" whereas the Sportlines are 1.4 and 1.7. Now I am second guessing. I just dont want to be driving on stilts with origional springs. I just spent a ton of money on other stuff, so I only have about $200 to spend and I need them fast. These Sportlines are brutal.
order the strano's my pro kit sagged after 2-3 months, then the next summer after storage was so bad i couldnt deal with it, so far i love my strano's , stay away from eibach they are a **** spring imo.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey if you do get rid of your ProKit let me know...I'll buy them off you. Good read on the post, learned alot
Old 06-28-2007, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

ill sell em, where about do you live? i can ship em or whatever,

shoot me a pm we'll settle it up.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just got my strano springs, cant wait to get rid of my slp/eibach's. I'll post a before/after thread as soon as their on. Thanks for the fast shipping Sam.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in Charlotte NC. Going to PM you.

Quick Reply: Buying new springs asap. HATE MY EIBACHS **POLL**