Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake bleeding question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake bleeding question...

Going with custom drilled and slotted Aimco (Autozone) stock replacement rotors(bought cheap, labor is free). I am going to use a synthetic DOT 5 brake fluid and stainless steel lines . Are there any special considerations when bleeding the entire brake system to include the ABS hydraulic modulator? I need to add a little WOE with all of the GO the SS has so I don't when I . I would be glad to here from anyone who has bled their entire system. Thanks!!
Old 05-01-2003, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Brake bleeding question...

I have "changed" my fluid. But, I did that by using new to flush the old (still dot 4). To use dot 5, they suggest you clean the brake system (or they did when we tried it)...that may be more difficult (getting air out of the ABS can be tough). But, I'll mention that dot 5 will give you a spongy brake pedal. We put it in a car for a test session at Summit Point Raceway and the pedal was so soft, we changed it after 2 laps. I always run good quality Dot 4 fluid, personally, I've never been happy with the results of using dot 5. Have you had a problem with boiling the fluid in your brakes (as they are now)? If you are having serious issues with brake fluid boiling, then dot 5 may be worth a try. However, if you are using brakes hard enough to boil dot 4 (unless it is really old and "full" of water), you will likely not be happy with the pedal feel with dot 5 (based on my experiences). If you have never boiled the factory fluid, then the tepm range of dot 5 is "way" overkill. Also, dot 5 fluid can oxidize the aluminum parts of a brake system (such as LS! calipers). Oxidized aluminum may sound more familiar as "aluminum oxide", the same stuff used to make sandpaper (and one of the harder substances known to mankind), it can be very hard on parts (the oxidized debris). These are just my thoughts.....good luck.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Brake bleeding question...

I ran Motul 5.1 for over 2 years w/o an issue and have Castrol SRF in the system now.

As far as bleeding the brakes, there is an interesting post in this thread ...

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=104685

The need to plug into a computer or use a fancy vacuum system is a myth. Dealerships may do that sort of thing and it is definitely done when a new car is being assembled since it can be done much faster and can sometimes be done with only one person. The one man brake bleed may not work for all cars and ABS systems but it will definitely work for the system in late model Camaro’s with Bosch ABS or ASR and a vacuum brake booster. Believe it or not, when we design ABS units we keep in mind that someone should not have to take the car to the dealership just to have their brake system bleed.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding question...