Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotor Idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Idea

I've heard several times people are a bit worried about the middle of the rotors. Its more for appearance, but I have an appointment first thing in the morning to get my front and back brakes redone completely and have the rotor blanks with me right now, so if I can do this before the morning, I'll get on in tonight.

Reason I put it here is more for the technical explanation.

I want to paint the middle of the rotors, so you can't see any rust when they are on. My question is: What exactly should I use considering the complete middle of the rotor is what will be painted/resurfaced?

I just don't want to use paint and find out it will affect the way the rotor sits to the wheel or get brake dust inbetween...etc.

Yeah, probably a newb concern, but better safe than sorry.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated as I'll get out to the store and do this tonight. Paint? Just Clear coat to prevent the rest? Chrome paint? Suggestions? Thoughts? Experiences?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have had mine painted for quite some time. I first went silver and found that was a big mistake. I now have gloss black because of my wheels. If I was you I would let them just put the rotors on and drive around for a little. Then once you see exactly where the pad hits you can tape all that off and get the paint in all the area's your pads wont clean. I actually just had my rotors cut and they took off that extra area of paint. I am going to let it rust a little so I can see where I need to tape. What I used for paint was duplicolors ford semi gloss black high heat engine paint and then their high heat clear. It is holding up quite nicely and I have had my wheels on and off numerous times to scratch them up. If you do choose to use the paint I recommended with clear hold off on washing them for a few weeks. I had the paint get a white haze that went away but I guess it had not fully cured. If you don't know how to pull the rotors off give them a shot of you favorite paint tonight so the rust does not look so bad and just live with a small area instead of the whole thing.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

thanks, thats exactly what I'm doing. sound advice. I went ahead and am watching the first coat of flat black go on now (1200 degree high heat!). Then I'm going to clear coat over it with the duplicolor (only 500 degree, but its the only clear coat out there). I'm being conservative with respect to the black but the clear coat will extend out a little further. If that flakes off...big deal.

Thanks for the help!