Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Side Hop with aftermarket Panhard! what gives!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Side Hop with aftermarket Panhard! what gives!

I have always been annoyed with the nasty side hop on my car, especially on the freeway. I have a hotchkis 1" drop with lower control arms and sway bars and non-adjustable panhard rod also (all hotchkis). Why do i still have a SIDEHOPE??? Does an adjustable rod make to much of a difference compared to a non adjustable one?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

well your goemetry is off for sure with a 1 inch drop and no adj panhard. Was the suspension loaded when you tighened the lca's and pan hard?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

What type of ends are on your lca's and phb? If all poly, you may be experiencing some lca bind. I also would think the shocks are not controlling the rear wheels and axle. The geometry is not causing what you are explaining.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

most people just don't wanna admit that the culprit is shocks. the PHR will flex but it's not why the car's hopping to the side. The reason is because the car's not properly dampened. Aftermarket PHR's help you center the rear and get rid of that feeling like the car is "leaning over on itself" in turns in the back.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info...im not sure if the suspension was loaded when they tightened the LCA and PHR...but shocks were going to be next on my to do list...at least the rears for now...probably Bilsteins HD because they are in my budget.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

you may want to get third gen. rear HD's as they have been said to have better rebound and compression damping than the ones made for our gen. cars.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I had 3rd gens rear. But I would save up from Konis. Unless your going back to stock springs. Normal HD's are not going to dampen them springs! I would save up and do it right for Konis! Or go back stock springs with Konis you can drop it about 3/4 then anway.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 1998LS1SS
Thanks for the info...im not sure if the suspension was loaded when they tightened the LCA and PHR...but shocks were going to be next on my to do list...at least the rears for now...probably Bilsteins HD because they are in my budget.
I put Hotchkis springs, Bilstein HDs, and an adjustable UMI panhard on my car about a month ago and that took care of all the sidehop. Car handles mid-turn disruptions very predictably now (except for when I hit the gas a little too hard, but that's my own dumb fault).

I, like the others, would recommend trying to at least go with Bilstein revalves or 3rd gen Konis. But if all you can afford is the HDs, they'll do the trick. They work great for me. I'd rather see you get HDs than something like KYBs or some generic shock because you can't afford konis.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Im going to order the UMI panhard rod from byunspeed and will look for some used Bilstein HD's and hopefully it will fix my problem. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

you HAVE to get an ADJ phb. when lowerig. thats why. and make sure suspension isnt loaded.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

what do you guys mean by the suspension being loaded?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

You drive a solid axle car. There is a reason that race cars, when possible don't have solid axles--and that's because the rear is not as compliant to impacts. If you have good shocks and don't over stiffen the car, it can be made to work very well. Alas, you have stock shocks (junk) and some kind of bars (don't know what but won't be shocked if it's a 1" rear). You don't need LCA's or brackets for this. You need some real dampers and a properly thought out sized rear swaybar. Actually if you drop the angle of the LCA's it will make things no better and quite possibly a little worse.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Side Hop with aftermarket Panhard! what gives!