Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake system anomaly after hitting a speed bump.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake system anomaly after hitting a speed bump.

The other night, i was driving on a dimly light road in the city, going about 30-35 mph when i hit a non-marked speed bump. I may have gotten airborne, scared the hell out of me. I pulled over immediately to check for any damage, which everything looked ok in the small amount of light i had. The brake light came on and the ABS inop light came on. I could tell a differnce in the pedal. At first, it was jittery, then that went away, and it just felt a little softer, basically like there was no ABS. I got to my destination, and let the car sit for several hours before driving again. When i started the engine again, the brake lights were off, and everything seems normal again.

Any idea what would cause this temporary failure? Should i still be concerned that something else is wrong? I suppose i should have the front end inspected for any types of bent components.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could have been a computer glitch from hitting the bump hard. The sensors may have been jolted and messed up their signal from the reluctor wheels. I believe they work on the principle of a magnet and coil producing voltage and current, like the crank position sensor. If the brakes came back to normal, great, just keep an eye out in case. The only replacable ABS parts (for controlling ABS) that I know of are the rear speed sensor and the module, I haven't found anything about replacing the front sensors, the GM service manual doesn't even mention replacing them. My ABS is out, I guess too many bumps during the Power Tour, and the rear speed sensor supposedly failed, still waiting for the part to see. If all else fails, there's always the ABS delete option

Quick Reply: Brake system anomaly after hitting a speed bump.