Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Was this a mistake? Eibach Proline??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was this a mistake? Eibach SPORTLINE?? not Proline

OK so I admit I didnt do my homework. And I know this may have been discussed, but I need the posts, and I didnt see anything specific to my problem. I bought these because I got a great deal and because of the name. I put them on my 98 Z28 along with KYBs(which I have used on other cars with good success) and hate them. I have Pacesetter LTs and a catted y-pipe(which I would trade for an offroad pipe in a heartbeat if anyone interested).

BUT interestingly enough, the height is not a problem. I really only bottom out on speedbumps, which I can just avoid. The problem is that they feel like I just cut my old springs. The thing bounces all over the place. I took a corner last night about like I would have in my work van and nearly lost it when the rear end bounced 4 times and felt like it came off the road when it came up.

Is this normal for these springs or did I get duds? My wife told me to just get one of those Chihuahua bobble headed things in the window.

If this is NORMAL for these things, then what should I get to replace them with? I dont mind a firm ride, but the bouncing is nuts. I want to do some autocrossing, so that is a consideration too.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mnypitZ; 06-23-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think it's a problem with the springs, rather a problem with those shocks you have on there. I've heard nothing but bad reviews of the KYB's (for our cars atleast). I say get yourself a decent shock and you'll stop bouncing around everywhere. I personally wouldn't have gone with those springs either (too low for my taste), but not everyone likes the same things.

I see you mentioned autocrossing in the future. Why don't you call up Sam Strano and see what he thinks. I personally have Strano springs and Koni SA's and couldn't be happier.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

You are the second person to recommend Strano. Is he a sponser or does someone have his info?

My big mistake. These are Sportlines not Prolines. I had the KYBs on my 00 Z28 convertible with no problems. I cant remember the springs I had though, but it was actually lower than this. It just feels like I cut the springs or heated them up to lower it. Both front and rear.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had sportlines for 6 months. I hated them also. It was too low in the rear and kept hitting the bumpers, which causes the bouncing. Also if you look up the spring rates for them. They are progressive and a low rate. I bought Bilstein HD revalves and they helped, but how much can they help when you have less than an inch of suspension travel before the jounce bumper. I bought H&R lowering springs which are a much higher rate and a taller spring and I am happy with them.

Strano is a sponsor on here and a lot of people look to him for advice/parts. You can find his site from the advertising banners on the right.

Brian
Old 06-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by mnypitZ
You are the second person to recommend Strano. Is he a sponser or does someone have his info?

My big mistake. These are Sportlines not Prolines. I had the KYBs on my 00 Z28 convertible with no problems. I cant remember the springs I had though, but it was actually lower than this. It just feels like I cut the springs or heated them up to lower it. Both front and rear.
He's only the second person to recommend Sam? That's nearly impossible to believe.

Personally, i'd ditch both the shocks and springs. The shocks aren't beefy enough to handle high rate springs, and the springs were made for appearance and not functionality. Get a set of bilstein revalves and either Strano or Hotchkis springs.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I looked up the receipts on the 00 and I had the Hotchkis springs and the same KYBs I have now. It was ok. I will probably go with a much better setup eventually, but for now I just need a decent setup. I am probably going to contact Strano for springs and later worry about shocks.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

I'm also surprised to find you haven't been recommended to Sam much. I'd get the spring/shock combo at the same time in order to get a pair that will compliment each other. Either that or get a set of good adjustable shocks first (Koni's), then swap springs later.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think I have much choice, I am going to get a decent set of springs, then do shocks later. These springs have to go. The KYBs will work for now. I just had to spend a bunch of money on engine work, so the budget is tight.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the prokit on the rear of my car and I loved the handling. Just not the ride height.

Now I stock v6/v8 springs in the rear of my car and prokit springs in the front and love the way it handles still. But then again I have an SS with the slightly better front and rear sways and a few BMR goodies like rear LCAs and panhard.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by mnypitZ
I looked up the receipts on the 00 and I had the Hotchkis springs and the same KYBs I have now. It was ok. I will probably go with a much better setup eventually, but for now I just need a decent setup. I am probably going to contact Strano for springs and later worry about shocks.
You went from hotchkis to sportline springs? Wow. Should have kept those hotchkis springs and just picked up some good shocks.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

That was a long time ago. I sold that car close to 4 years ago, so I didnt have those springs anymore. Beleive me, having had the choice, I would still have that car and all the mods I nearly gave away. Hell, if I could go back, I could think of about a dozen cars I would still own, along with all those mods I either sold for near nothing or gave away.