Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks & Rotors...??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Shocks & Rotors...??

I am looking at purchasing new shocks and pads/rotors. I was planning on getting the SLP Bilstein shocks. Is there anywhere were anyone got good deals. I saw at speed inc for around 382.46. And for rotors, AC Delco slotted and drilled along with pads?... I heard from a mechanic I'm friends with that these are really reputable pads, dont squeak etc. Anyone comments?? thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as reliability, low dust and long life stock GM pads (including Delco replacements) are the best...but you trade stopping power for longevity (as opposed to improved stopping power, you won't lose anything going from stock to stock). hawk ceramics are extremely quiet and low dust and they'll give you a great brake feeling and stopping power improvement over stock. but if your dead set on those AC Delco pieces, they won't let you down.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From a good deals standpoint, Brembo blanks are probably the best bang for buck rotors. They'll perform as well as or better than any drilled/slotted direct swap rotor out there for half the price.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Dont get drilled rotors. Very prone to cracking. Some good ole Brembo blanks will work wonders
Old 06-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Launching!

I know a lot of people that have slotted/drilled rotors...are they that prone to cracking? Why would they make them?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

People either buy them for the bling factor, or because they mistakenly believe they will improve their braking performance. For street duty, it likely won't make a difference either way, not one you'll feel without pushing the braking system hard over and over anyways. If money is a factor, you're better off cutting the costs of drilling/slotting.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by HotWS6
I know a lot of people that have slotted/drilled rotors...are they that prone to cracking? Why would they make them?
Check out the FAQ section on manufacturer sites where they admit that the holes are for looks.

Wilwood:
http://www.wilwood.com/Centers/Infor..._answer/07.asp
Originally Posted by Wilwood
Why are some rotors drilled or slotted?
Rotors are drilled to reduce rotating weight, an issue near and dear to racers searching for ways to minimize unsprung weight. Drilling diminishes a rotor's durability and cooling capacity.
Slots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to "glazing" and the slots tended to help "scrape or de-glaze" them. Drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood has a large selection of drilled and slotted rotors for a wide range of applications.

Baer
http://www.baer.com/technical/faq/index.php
Originally Posted by Baer
What are the benefits to cross-drilling, slotting, and zinc-washing my rotors?
In years past, cross-drilling and/or slotting the rotor for racing purposes was beneficial by providing a way to expel the gasses created when the bonding agents employed to manufacture the pads began to break down at extreme temperatures. This condition is often referred to as "green pad fade" or "outgassing". When it does occur, the driver still has a good firm brake pedal, but simply little or no friction. Since this normally happens only at temperatures witnessed in racing, this can be very exciting! However, with today´s race pad technology, “outgassing” is no longer much of a concern. When shopping for races pads, or even ultra high performance road pads, look for the phrases, "dynamic surface treatment", "race ready", and/or, "pre-burnished". When these or similar statements are made by the pad manufacturer, the pad in question will likely have little or no problem with “outgassing”. Ironically more pedestrian pads used on most streetcars will still exhibit “outgassing”, but only when used at temperatures normally only encountered on the racetrack. Although cross-drilling and/or slotting will provide a welcome path to expend any gasses when and if they develop, it is primarily a visual enhancement behind today’s often wide-open wheel designs. Cross-drilling offers the greatest gas relief pathway, but creates potential "stress risers" from which cracks can occur. Baer´s rotors are cast with cross-drilling in mind, from the material specified, to curved vanes, behind which the holes are placed to minimize potential crack migration. Slotted surfaces are what Baer recommends for track only use. Slotted only rotors are offered as an option for any of Baer’s offerings.

Check out the links in the sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....91&postcount=5