Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help--only 1 front brake working

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help--only 1 front brake working

I have a 98 Z28. Stock brakes with Hawk HPS pads. When i brake hard, car pulls slightly to right (car is properly aligned). Also, right front brake has 3X more brake dust on it and also that tire is 1/2 bald after only 10K miles (i have Eagle F1 GSD3's). So it seems there is a lot of evidence that the right front is doing the lion's share of the work when i stop.

Can anyone recommend diagnosing methods/possible fix? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Check the caliper slide pins on the driver side. They very well could be frozen and not allowing the caliper to slide back and forth when brake pressure is applied. If the sliders are okay (regrease them too even if they slide okay!), then bleed the brakes. If that doesn't fix it, I'd buy new brake hoses as the next step. The front left brake hose could have collapsed completely. Usually when this happens the brakes can still be applied and they'll hang up on that side, but its possible to also not let brake pressure through to the caliper.

1. Check and re-grease caliper pins
2. Bleed brakes
3. Replace brake hoses (at least front driver side)
Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Check the caliper slide pins on the driver side. They very well could be frozen and not allowing the caliper to slide back and forth when brake pressure is applied. If the sliders are okay (regrease them too even if they slide okay!), then bleed the brakes. If that doesn't fix it, I'd buy new brake hoses as the next step. The front left brake hose could have collapsed completely. Usually when this happens the brakes can still be applied and they'll hang up on that side, but its possible to also not let brake pressure through to the caliper.

1. Check and re-grease caliper pins
2. Bleed brakes
3. Replace brake hoses (at least front driver side)
Duron,
slide pins were free, but bled both the fronts and car doesn't pull when i stop now--thanks a ton!
Paul

Quick Reply: Need help--only 1 front brake working