Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HELP! Spring/Shock install gone bad!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Spring/Shock install gone bad!

My brother and I just finished installing the front SLP Bilstein/Eibach springs and
shocks on my 98Z. I followed all instructions to the T, even had to replace the upper strut mounts. I used spring compressors, made sure the top nut on the strut was down all the way. We installed both sides, dropped it off stands and the thing sets up as high if not higher than it did before. Do progressive springs need to seat? Or did we just miss a GIANT detail in the whole scheme of things?
FYI: We re-used the lower spring perch off of the stock shock and the lower bump stop off of the stock shock. None of this seems to matter, but I thought I'd throw that info in. PLEASE RESPOND!
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Spring/Shock install gone bad!-imgp0493.jpg   HELP! Spring/Shock install gone bad!-imgp0492.jpg   HELP! Spring/Shock install gone bad!-imgp0491.jpg   HELP! Spring/Shock install gone bad!-imgp0490.jpg  
Old 07-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Teching In

I would really appreciate some input. On my stock wheels and a 225/50/16 tire there is almost 4" of gap between the top of the tread and the wheel well. We
jacked up the LCA with the chassis on jack stands; the upper control arm will travel up far enough to make the gap go away... it just looks like there is no load on the car...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

In the second pic, it looks like the top of the spring isn't properly installed (off center). Did you make sure to put the spring in the upper spring mount correctly? It has to be in a specific position, otherwise it will sit higher than it's supposed to and be off center.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Krab
In the second pic, it looks like the top of the spring isn't properly installed (off center). Did you make sure to put the spring in the upper spring mount correctly? It has to be in a specific position, otherwise it will sit higher than it's supposed to and be off center.

It does look a little off center, but it's seating on the upper mount perfectly.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

just drive the car... it is supposed to settle... put on some miles, u should be fine... if its seated properly and shocks are good it should be fully settled in a week...? try that
Old 07-03-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Where in the hell are the dust covers?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's my car with the SLP spring and shock package installed. With front springs installed the front of car sets very close to the stock ride height except springs are stiffer than stock to prevent bottoming out and scraping on our rough roads. Rear of car sets 3/4" lower

SLP springs matched with KONI shocks is a better idea IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO LOWER FRONT OF CAR 3/4" FURTHER.

Yea...where are your dust covers? You must reuse the factory dust covers.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by gollum
Yea...where are your dust covers? You must reuse the factory dust covers.
I don't have the factory dust covers on mine either, they didn't fit inside my springs. If the shocks need dust covers, they should be included. They can't expect you to supply your own!

The factory covers would be useless on the Bilsteins. They leave over 1/2" of space all around the shock. That's really not covering anything.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Teching In

The rears had new dust covers with them so I assumed the fronts did not need them, not to mention that they didn't fit at all. We talked to an engineer at SLP and he didn't mention them.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

my strano konis came with dust covers..like built in. do i still need to reuse my factory ones over them?..i noticed that the bump stop was in the factory ones. did the konis have one inside ?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Crash00527
my strano konis came with dust covers..like built in. do i still need to reuse my factory ones over them?..i noticed that the bump stop was in the factory ones. did the konis have one inside ?
No the Koni's come with their own dust covers. For the price they charge I would think that's the least they can do, right?

It depends on the design of the shock as to whether or not you need dust covers. I learned alot about shocks from mountain biking, and just about all the newest MTB shocks do not use dust covers (and consider the environment they are used in). When I got my HDs without covers, and the stock covers didn't fit, I simply assumed that they had applied the same technology used in MTB applications to car applications to eliminate dust covers.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Putting the OEM dust covers on my front Bilsteins was a simple fit.