Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR tubular a-arms: advantages/disadvantages?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 08:13 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BMR tubular a-arms: advantages/disadvantages?

First off, are there any differences between the BMRs and other brands? Im thinking of putting some on the car, but I first wanted to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of having them? Are they really worth the money? What do you think of them? What does it affect besides weight? Is there any noticeable difference in handling or 1/4 mile times? Thanks
Old 05-11-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BMR tubular a-arms: advantages/disadvantages?

BMR uses a built in motor mount to get rid of the stock cast ones, PA uses the stock cast units so the BMR is alittle lighter. Both are very nice, plus it knocks weight off the front of the car and frees up room and looks a ton better.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:04 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I take it that BMRs are a little better and that all in all theyre all worth doing? Does it help out your 1/4 mile time slips? So basically weight is the only advantage? Are there any drawbacks of doing these? Thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the PA tubular K member and A arms. Weight savings and ease of alignment were the advantages I saw. My car sure drives nice and straight now. I had my car aligned three times with my factory components and the car always pulled slightly to the right until I installed the PA components.

I don't think the design of the A arms is as strong as the factory. In hard breaking you just don't have the strength that the factory A arms would have. All the load goes on a friction joint that just can't have the holding power particularly on that rear connection on the A arm. I'm somewhat reluctant to try a panic stop because of this. Hope I never have a panic stop.

As far as the motor mount, yes, the PA does retain the factory cast mount which probably does add a little weight over the BMR. It will however make for easier engine removal and/or header install or removal. You won't have to lower the K member to remove the engine and detaching the motor mounts now is a snap to raise the engine for header install. Much more accessible to the four bolts on each side now.

I did have some fit issues with the PA but was able to work though them without major problems.

If anybody would like pics email me at larry98@ev1.net.