Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Urgent Strut Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Strut Question

The car is a 1998 V6 Camaro. If you know the proper strut assembly (each part listed in order to assemble) just post it and that should answer my question...

Stock strut Assembly looks like this FROM BOTTOM TO TOP:

Bottom Mount -- Spring cradle -- rubber piece that hugs spring----spring--- one piece stud and perch -- big rubber top piece -- small piece that sits in big rubber peice ---nut

The new strut looks like this FROM BOTTOM TO TOP

Bottom mount --- spring cradle -- rubber piece that hugs spring --spring --big rubber top piece -- small piece that sits in big rubber piece --nut

NOTE: The stud is built into the shaft on the new strut instead of being part of the perch like on stock.

Are we missing a part on the new strut? The Stud/Perch from the old struts doesn't come off and even if it did it wouldn't help us since we already have a stud on the new one.

So my question---

We installed the spring and big top rubber piece, small rubber inlaid piece, and put the nut on and tightened it down. Without that perch it has no way to bottom out the big rubber piece--is this fine?

I'm concerned it will have too much stud and it will hit the fenders on hard bumps if we don't have something in there to fill that void?

Last edited by Speedwerx1000; 07-18-2007 at 10:07 AM.