Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1998 Ws6 Fe4 1le Fe7 Wtf???

Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 Ws6 Fe4 1le Fe7 Wtf???

Looking up some parts in the dealer's electronic catalog to help me fix up my handling problems, there's a great deal of confusion over what suspension parts apply to my car or not.

My car is a 1998 WS6. On the list of RPOs, FE4 pops up as the suspension category. However, a lot of the stuff that is listed online (by enthusiasts) as being applicable to the 1998/1999 WS6 is shared with the 1LE. If I look up a certain 1LE part, the dealer database shows the applicable suspension code as FE7.

Now, it's been a long time but I thought I read somewhere about some components being shared between 1LE and WS6 way back in the early LS1 days. If that's the case, then what do I look for in the dealer catalog?

I suspect there's been a lot of "consolidating" going on in the GM parts network, as proven by the fact that my WS6's replacement rear shocks were useless compared to the beefy factory stockers I eventually put back on. If things did change in 2000 with the end of the factory 1LE option, I suspect this generalization is being applied to the 1998 and 1999 cars as well.

So my question: does someone know definitively what components were shared with the 1LE on 1998 WS6 cars?

And can someone explain what's the deal with the FE4/FE7 confusion that I'm having such a hard time dealing with my parts guy?

(for example: upper control arms as well as lower control arm bushings show unique FE7 and FE4 applications, wondering what my 1998 WS6 came with from factory?)
Old 07-31-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Every v8 i had has been fe4 even the lt1. I dind't think the 1le and ws6 was the same and never seen that. Just the l1e had bigger duometer bushings..

if your replacing go aftermarkert?

Get some aftermarkert shocks too. dont' put decrappys back on
Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Going with aftermarket shocks, that's for sure. Just trying to cut through the crap info I've collected over the years... I'm looking at control arm replacement, and so it's looking like I'll stick to FE4 if that's what's applicable to WS6s.
(for example, springs were shared in 1998 between 1LE and WS6 I believe, but what else?)

Not thinking of aftermarket right now when it comes to all the other stuff because all I want is for this car to ride like it did for the first 7 years of its life, which was good enough for me. Ever since a small incident (described in another one of my threads) the car has been a real handful to drive, and now I'm looking at control arm replacement.

Search this Thread