Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shaved rotors and new brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll go along with Foxxtron's very good advice. Although I know my Front rotors are where I have all my problems. That and the stupid slider pins seizing up at 12k mile of use.

I would just do up front first, then if need be do the back where the rotors are more difficult to remove due to the emergency brake shoes. I do find that my rear pads wear out first though, due to the electonic proportioning system, which biases the rear brake more in light street driving stops. So definately do a full inspection on the rear and decide if you need to tackle it.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Basically, if you have the OEM AC Delco rotors, just plan on having them changed out. They weren't made very well to begin with and it's not much to have either Duralast or Brembo OE blanks. The brake inspection should deal with not only inspecting for rotor thickness, but also rotor runout as well.

AFA the Pads, they could use an inspection as well. While I don't mind the rear AC Delco pads, the fronts could be better.

I'd say if money is really tight and the brakes need service, then plan on having a complete brake inspection, but plan on getting the right parts to replace what needs to be replaced at the moment.
I cannot imagine these are the stock rotors. This car was obviously used as a daily driver and has quite a few miles to prove it. Do any shops do a brake inspection free? I don't trust many shops around here (especially Midas after the work done on my mom's Astro) but would be willing to have them look with stress on not touching anything afterwards.

As for the brake pads could anyone suggest where to get the Axxis/Bendix pads? I can never find them in the same place (online) and would really like to order from as few places as possible. The hawks may be a better choice just because they are so easy to find. That is quite pricey for a brake pad though.

Quick Reply: Shaved rotors and new brake pads?